advertisement

Philips CD160/5 Error message

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my classic Philips CD player which keeps showing ERR message.
Unit has been in dry storage for a while as the house has been moved around.
Disc transport system works OK and qll lights are on.
Have opened up unit and cleaned laser but to no avail!!

Check all power rails, the power up without a disk. The focus and radial arm should try and focus and move onto the index tracks, the turntable will also pulse slightly to attempt to turn the disk. If any of the power supplies are wrong you'll likely hear one of both of those slamming against the end stop. If for any reason it can't focus on the disk then the error message is displayed. If the disk is trying to take off like a turbine then the clock may be faulty!

Clean your rails if the sled is inhibited it won't read the toc (table of contents) i've had a few philips players that need warming through before they'll function correctly particularly if stored in a cold environment

Clean your rails if the sled is inhibited it won't read the toc (table of contents) i've had a few philips players that need warming through before they'll function correctly particularly if stored in a cold environment

There are no sled rails, it's a swing arm mech.

My money is on the capacitors, those aforementioned blue ones in particular. Be sure not to miss those on the PCB under the mechanism.

i've had a few philips players that need warming through before they'll function correctly
I've seen that in a CD160. Replacing the electrolytic caps sorted it out.

My money is on the capacitors, those aforementioned blue ones in particular. Be sure not to miss those on the PCB under the mechanism.

I've seen that in a CD160. Replacing the electrolytic caps sorted it out.

+1

Quite likely to be failing electrolytic capacitors. The blue coloured Philips branded axial capacitors (often 33uF). They're notoriously unreliable at this age.
Are you talking about ALL of the blue caps (Philips brand) including the large 1000 micro farads on the main board.
Could you help me out to tell me how many in total (approx) that I am looking for.
They seem to be quite a lot!!!
Thanks for you advice so far
Mike

Are you talking about ALL of the blue caps (Philips brand) including the large 1000 micro farads on the main board.
Could you help me out to tell me how many in total (approx) that I am looking for.
They seem to be quite a lot!!!
Thanks for you advice so far
Mike
From memory, there's about a dozen of them. Yes, they all need replacing.

Nothing is certain in a machine that old, but they're unlikely to be as bad as the blue axial caps. There's only a few of them, though, so I'd replace them all just to be sure.
Thanks a lot for your help.
By any chance do you have a layout of all the PC boards with all the cap component values on it or is there a link for me to find it.
The reason is I thought that the blue Philips ones were 33Uf so I could source those but the others I think are many different values.
Sorry to be a bit of a pain but I don't have any data on this machine.
Mike

By any chance do you have a layout of all the PC boards with all the cap component values on it or is there a link for me to find it.
The reason is I thought that the blue Philips ones were 33Uf so I could source those but the others I think are many different values.
Sorry to be a bit of a pain but I don't have any data on this machine.
The values are written on the caps. The blue ones are a few different values, mostly 33 μF and 47 μF. The power supply has a some larger caps, up to 6800 μF IIRC. The exact type of the replacements isn't important. Modern radial ones can be fitted by bending the leads.

I think you need to create an account first.
Thanks for that info.
I tried to access the HiFi Engine web site but unfortunately they say that they are not accepting new accounts!!!!
They do have the Service manual for the Philips 160 Cd player in English according to their site info.
Do you know of another site?
Or could someone download the manual for me and then email to me on [email protected].
Hoping for success
Mike

Thanks for that info.
I tried to access the HiFi Engine web site but unfortunately they say that they are not accepting new accounts!!!!
They do have the Service manual for the Philips 160 Cd player in English according to their site info.
Do you know of another site?
Or could someone download the manual for me and then email to me on [email protected].
Hoping for success
Mike
I sent you a link by PM.

advertisement

Back