advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2010 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been back shooting lots of portraits recently. 1Ds, 85/1.8 wide open

4763845634_31e076d6ee_z.jpg

Tony - great capture of the mighty Darracq. I saw it run at Prescott a few weeks ago too, but on the longer course of Goodwood it was surprisingly quick!

ETA: it's a seriously scary device: 25litre V8, only a simple transmission brake, nonslip footwear is definitely required:
fly.jpg

Once holder of the land speed record it has killed four mechanics along the way...

Thanks for the info Martin. There's far too much to take in at the FOS, even during my 6th visit!
This old favourite of mine was really on song yesterday. There was an almighty deep bass thump from the engine I'd never noticed before:

BigNo41.jpg

Tony

Like the cemetery and that first one Tony. A cracker.

One from the side of the road yesterday as I drove home.

Eden.jpg

Lovely that Mark - like the height above the crop. Are you particularly tall or do you carry some aluminium steps around with you in the car?

I'm getting smaller as time goes by :)

The field was slightly below me - I'd like to have taken one from the very edge, looking over the tops but I already had three folk twining about my stopping the car in the first place.

Mark, i usually end up with low angles across fields and always want to be a bit higher!

Here's one from last night, silver gelatin coated onto some rather nice cotton paper.

4766483767_76b580f279_z.jpg

I've been mucking about with Hasselblad Phocus 2.5 for Mac with a view to swapping my V96C back for a second hand H3DII39, and I really like the nature preset in this software

4771369230_e1b12149c3_z.jpg

503cx 80/2.8

The H3DII39 I think has that fancy sensor shift technology so that you can capture 4 images with the sensor moved by one pixel in each direction, and hence, combined, you get 39 *real* mp. Interesting stuff, but will use up your storage at a scary rate...

The only thing that really bothers me about 645 cameras is that they are usually landscape format, when really i'd want a portrait 645. Which way around is the H3D?

Cesare

P.S. Make sure you get a decent deal on a film back as they are shockingly expensive...

Cesare - there's a Fuji GA645wi for sale near here that I am trying to resist. Autofocus point/shoot-capable medium format...

Yes, the Fuji 645 is fun - I had a go with cliffs one a while back. Just go and buy it!

One camera purchase so far this month - I picked up a 65/3.5 lens for my mamiya TLR.

Cesare, my Bronica RF645 shoots in the portrait mode. It took me all of 15 minutes or so to get used to surveying the view. Saying that, my composition needs work regarding the frame lines, but other than that the camera feels right in the hand, is whisper quiet, the meter tallies with my Sekonic when used in incident light mode. Flash sync at any shutter speed, the fastest being 500th which is a bit of a bug bear, but, it works for me.

The lenses are sharp, although not very fast. F4 being the maximum.

Cesare - there's a Fuji GA645wi for sale near here that I am trying to resist. Autofocus point/shoot-capable medium format...

the ga645 derivatives are by default portrait format, not that this is a bad thing, you have to rotate it 90 degrees for "normal" shooting

anyway, seems to work ok:

3386580881_d89726e3c0_z.jpg

the H3DII appears to be landscape format 48*35

I fancied, and subsequently travelled 200 miles to try a couple of Fuji GA645 's.
The shop told me over the phone they were in "slight signs" of use condition! What he failed to convey, was the previous owner was a relative of Hagar the Horrible. One was beyond repair as it had a scale focusing lens which was jammed solid, another the back wouldn't latch without being taped up, and the third the light meter didn't work!

To appease me the guy gave me some rolls of film, Ilford Pan F50 and XP2, all of them where out of date!

They do take nice pictures though Cliff!

Thanks for that Cliff. The only reason I haven't just bought the thing so far is that I like 'square'; and all I'd want over and above the Yashicamat is maybe some metering onboard and perhaps a choice of lenses. AF is a long way down the list, as is a fixed viewfnder.

So I'm sticking with the Yashi; might buy a decent lightmeter instead, though I like using my grandfather's Gossen Sixtomat (nearly 60yrs old, no batteries, proper analogue...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back