advertisement

PFM Photo Theme 323: 'Shine a Light'. Closes Sunday Dec 31st

A great many entries this month. Many thanks . In order of entry, I offer some thoughts. Very personal ofc, but I’m not a million miles away from the likes opinions:

Ant’s rolling ball was a very strong start. I especially liked the image inside the ball which was mysterious, but with it’s gold colour also as beautiful as intriguing. And then the pun :) This one was in my top three.

Whale’s thing. I still have no idea what I’m looking at but I do like the textures and colours and it somehow evokes Christmas without being obvious which I liked also.

It was the outside lights in Pete’s Los Morros that made me stop and look. The whole odd focus works well and I pondered a while on whether he was drunk or the wind was blowing outside lights around or….

Given the time of year and the subject set, Wulbert’s backlit shadow figure took on a whole new meaning and the pine wood setting gave it some added mystery. Strong composition too. Another in the top three.

And then, something quite different. Jamies cold winter’s day was a reminder of the hard work that men and women do in isolated places while the rest of us swill and stuff. I very much liked that humanity side of things. Stood out that one despite the non illuminated light.

Gin brought me back to the party, and despite the simple snap mood of the thing, there’s a lot of colour and light and texture in there to enjoy.

Marchbanks found a typical overdone Christmas house for his light moment, but it rises above that with the contrast between the gold and silver lighting and the window of the house that has a small glimpse into someones life in there.

CJ’s light had me wondering where in the world we were and what they were. I was most reminded of some far eastern street scene but it was the blazing weird colours that dominated.

And then PhilofCas turns up with a simple but very beautiful sunset light effect on some clouds. Given it was clearly a theme with the poss of a bit of 'Christmas' it, it struck me harder than a normal pic of it’s kind. Beauty and something 'more' in a simple natural moment. Worked for me.

Martin’s pink tinted sunset, lighting the stone of the buildings to a very lovely fire glow, which would make any city look attractive.

And finally at the last moment, Dan m pops up with a sunset cruise, which, IMO couldn’t be a better image to end an old year and today, to start a new one! Grabbed a top 3 place at the last moment.

But in the end, the photo I liked best was from...

Wulbert. Hoorah!

Over to you Wulbert. Thanks to all. And may 2024 be a happy photographic one for us all.
Very nice summary @Rockmeister.

Well done to @wulbert!

Oh dear lord! Thank you.
I've just seen this and had completely forgotten about my entry, what with Christmas and all. I'm in a spin now and I'm not even wearing my posh frock for my acceptance speech!
I need to say "sorry" for not "liking" any one else's entries (even though I do) I've just not been on top of this at all.

I don't quite know the rules, but I think I get to choose the next theme? Let me have a wee think.

Copy and paste all the old themes at the page top, add mine in in its alphabetical place, announce your title, closing date and any judging rules you wish and away we go :)

A great many entries this month. Many thanks . In order of entry, I offer some thoughts. Very personal ofc, but I’m not a million miles away from the likes opinions:

Ant’s rolling ball was a very strong start. I especially liked the image inside the ball which was mysterious, but with it’s gold colour also as beautiful as intriguing. And then the pun :) This one was in my top three.

Whale’s thing. I still have no idea what I’m looking at but I do like the textures and colours and it somehow evokes Christmas without being obvious which I liked also.

It was the outside lights in Pete’s Los Morros that made me stop and look. The whole odd focus works well and I pondered a while on whether he was drunk or the wind was blowing outside lights around or….

Given the time of year and the subject set, Wulbert’s backlit shadow figure took on a whole new meaning and the pine wood setting gave it some added mystery. Strong composition too. Another in the top three.

And then, something quite different. Jamies cold winter’s day was a reminder of the hard work that men and women do in isolated places while the rest of us swill and stuff. I very much liked that humanity side of things. Stood out that one despite the non illuminated light.

Gin brought me back to the party, and despite the simple snap mood of the thing, there’s a lot of colour and light and texture in there to enjoy.

Marchbanks found a typical overdone Christmas house for his light moment, but it rises above that with the contrast between the gold and silver lighting and the window of the house that has a small glimpse into someones life in there.

CJ’s light had me wondering where in the world we were and what they were. I was most reminded of some far eastern street scene but it was the blazing weird colours that dominated.

And then PhilofCas turns up with a simple but very beautiful sunset light effect on some clouds. Given it was clearly a theme with the poss of a bit of 'Christmas' it, it struck me harder than a normal pic of it’s kind. Beauty and something 'more' in a simple natural moment. Worked for me.

Martin’s pink tinted sunset, lighting the stone of the buildings to a very lovely fire glow, which would make any city look attractive.

And finally at the last moment, Dan m pops up with a sunset cruise, which, IMO couldn’t be a better image to end an old year and today, to start a new one! Grabbed a top 3 place at the last moment.

But in the end, the photo I liked best was from...

Wulbert. Hoorah!

Over to you Wulbert. Thanks to all. And may 2024 be a happy photographic one for us all.
Thank you @Rockmeister. And thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts on all the entries. I enjoyed reading that.

I enjoy seeing them all and especially enjoy thinking about the work that must have gone into them. I think judges need to say how they decide stuff, although it has to be taken in the knowledge that this is all just fun we are not in a serious competition here, so just spouting stuff :)

advertisement

Back