advertisement

PFM Photo Theme 323: 'Shine a Light'. Closes Sunday Dec 31st

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Submit one photo to be taken between Dec 5th and Dec 31st 2023.

Photo to be displayed in line please, rather than linked.

The winner will be determined by me.

Themes so far have been:

4 Legged; A foggy day (in your town); A Sense of Scale; Abandoned. A Small Joy; Abstract; After Dark; Age; Album cover; All My Own Work; Angles; Animals; Another Fine Mess; Anticipation; Anything Goes; Arboreal; Arches; Asymmetric; At the Market; At the water's edge; Athletic; Atmosphere; Autumn; Autumnal; Back to Basics; Bath; Beautiful Evidence; Beer; Before & After; Behind the door; Below; Black & White; Bleak; Bliss; Bloom; Blue; Blur; Bokeh; Bricks & Stone; Building; Candid; Car(s); Changing Seasons; Character; Charm; Chill; Christmas is Coming; Close to home; Close up; Coast; Cold; Cold February; Comfort; Commerce; Communication; Complex; Constant Variable; Construction; Contrast; Corner - or around it; Crowded; Curves; Cycle; Darlin' Companion; Decay; Deep; Desolate; Discontinuous; Distant; Distorted; Disproportionate; Doors; Dominant Colour; Dream; Emergency Services; Empty; Enterprise; Escapism; Evening; Eye; Faces Everywhere; Family; Favourite thing; Feet; Feet in the Picture; Feminine; Festive spirit; Fill the frame; Fish out of Water; Flow; Folded; Food; Food of Love; For the Record; Fragmented; Frame It; Freedom; From Above; Fruit; Gesture; Glass; Go; Goodness Gracious Me!; Grain; Grand Day Out; Great Balls of Fire; Green; Grey; Hands; Hardware; Here comes the sun; Heritage; Hidden; High or Low; Highlight; Highly Strung; Holidays; Hope; Horsepower; Humour; Implementation; Impression(ist); Incongruous; Independence; Indulgence; Industrial; Infrastructure; Inside; Interaction; Interstitial; Intertwine; Isolation; Journey; Junk; Kaleidoscope of Colours; Labour; Large!; Lawlessness / Disobedience; Leaves; Leisure; Less Is More; Light; Light Relief, Indoors; Line; Lines; Links; Long Exposure; Look Up or Look Down; Looking Out; Lots of Colour; Low light; Lunch; Lush; Marching into Spring (or Springing into March); Massive; Mechanical; Metal; Minimal; Missing; Modern Life Is Rubbish; Modern World; Morning; Mother nature; Motion; Movement; Movement 2; Moving Still; My favourite Beauty Spot; Naked; Natural World; Neon; New beginning; Night; Noise; Non-linear; Numbers; Numerous; Objets Trouvés; Odd Time; Old & New; On forever's very now we stand; On Two Wheels; On your doorstep; Oops; Open; Open - Anything Goes; Open - any subject or style; Orange; Out & About; Out with the old, in with the new; Outside; Park life; Parking; Paths; Patience; Pause; Polly Wants A Cracker; Portal; Portrait; Portrait: Green in black and white; Power; Prime; Reasons To Be Cheerful; Recreation; Red; Reflect; Reflection; Relaxing; Remote; Retail; Rhythm; Rock; Rubbish; Rust; Rustic; Sand, Sea or Sky; Scorch; Set; Shadows; Shadows/ the spaces in between; Shapes Everywhere; Sharp; Shopping Madness; Signs; Silhouettes; Simple; Simplicity; Single Colour; Sliding; Small; Smooth; Song Titles; Space; Sparkling; Speed; Sphere of Influence; Sporting Action; Spring; Spring Has Sprung; Square; Static; Steel; Still Life; Stone; Straight out of camera! Round; Stranger; Street; Sunlight; Symmetry; Talking Heads; Technology; Tension; Texture; Texture / Dominant Colour; The eyes have it; Revolution; The Facility; The Golden Hour; The Golden Ratio; The Great Outdoors; The last days of Summer; The Look of Love; The Road and the Sky; Thirds; Three; Time; Tiny; Tomorrow (diptych - abandoned); Tools; Top to Bottom; Tranquillity; Translucent; Transport; Triangle; Two of; Uncovered; Urban Decay; Unruly/disobedient; Up; Up Close; Up My Street; Upside Down; Urban; Vanishing Point; Vertical; Voluptuous; Walls; Warm; Water; Weather; Wet Wet Wet; White noise; Wildlife; Wind; Window; Wings; Winterval; Wish You Were Here; Wood; Work; Work, Rest or Play; Xmas Excess; Yellow; Yes; Your neighbourhood.

53405885741_7f9d205d8d_b.jpg

I’m starting to get a really good feeling about this. Looking at all the entries so far the test setter has failed to acknowledge the presence of just two. Now, not giving a thumbs-up to everyone would of course be against the pfm ethos of inclusivity, not to mention being churlish in the Season of Goodwill to All Participants. So my reading of the situation is that his ‘likes’ are really consolation prizes and he’s effectively tipping the wink to those of us without.

tl;dr - if I were a betting man I’d put money on the big prize going to either me or @PhilofCas.

I’m starting to get a really good feeling about this. Looking at all the entries so far the test setter has failed to acknowledge the presence of just two. Now, not giving a thumbs-up to everyone would of course be against the pfm ethos of inclusivity, not to mention being churlish in the Season of Goodwill to All Participants. So my reading of the situation is that his ‘likes’ are really consolation prizes and he’s effectively tipping the wink to those of us without.

tl;dr - if I were a betting man I’d put money on the big prize going to either me or @PhilofCas.
👍

Very nice of you to say that and excellent hypothesis :)

but wrong since you forget the 73 years of dementia and the strong poss that he just missed you. Sorry to blow the theory but now corrected. Bloody nice pics tho boys, you're def in the top ten....
at least! :)

A great many entries this month. Many thanks . In order of entry, I offer some thoughts. Very personal ofc, but I’m not a million miles away from the likes opinions:

Ant’s rolling ball was a very strong start. I especially liked the image inside the ball which was mysterious, but with it’s gold colour also as beautiful as intriguing. And then the pun :) This one was in my top three.

Whale’s thing. I still have no idea what I’m looking at but I do like the textures and colours and it somehow evokes Christmas without being obvious which I liked also.

It was the outside lights in Pete’s Los Morros that made me stop and look. The whole odd focus works well and I pondered a while on whether he was drunk or the wind was blowing outside lights around or….

Given the time of year and the subject set, Wulbert’s backlit shadow figure took on a whole new meaning and the pine wood setting gave it some added mystery. Strong composition too. Another in the top three.

And then, something quite different. Jamies cold winter’s day was a reminder of the hard work that men and women do in isolated places while the rest of us swill and stuff. I very much liked that humanity side of things. Stood out that one despite the non illuminated light.

Gin brought me back to the party, and despite the simple snap mood of the thing, there’s a lot of colour and light and texture in there to enjoy.

Marchbanks found a typical overdone Christmas house for his light moment, but it rises above that with the contrast between the gold and silver lighting and the window of the house that has a small glimpse into someones life in there.

CJ’s light had me wondering where in the world we were and what they were. I was most reminded of some far eastern street scene but it was the blazing weird colours that dominated.

And then PhilofCas turns up with a simple but very beautiful sunset light effect on some clouds. Given it was clearly a theme with the poss of a bit of 'Christmas' it, it struck me harder than a normal pic of it’s kind. Beauty and something 'more' in a simple natural moment. Worked for me.

Martin’s pink tinted sunset, lighting the stone of the buildings to a very lovely fire glow, which would make any city look attractive.

And finally at the last moment, Dan m pops up with a sunset cruise, which, IMO couldn’t be a better image to end an old year and today, to start a new one! Grabbed a top 3 place at the last moment.

But in the end, the photo I liked best was from...

Wulbert. Hoorah!

Over to you Wulbert. Thanks to all. And may 2024 be a happy photographic one for us all.

advertisement

Back