advertisement

pfm Outage and major upgrade Monday 2nd Oct 11:00am

What Mac OS and Safari version? I’ll check it next time I boot my old MacBook up, but that may not be relevant as it is an obsolete 2012 model running Mohave.

Excellent, I couldn’t explain that one at all, but interesting to know that is a potential fix!

It still looks to be there; if you are within a given forum there is a ‘mark read’ at the top on the context sensitive tool thingie. I’ve not tested it as I‘m not caught up, but I think that is what it does.
My option up there is "mark forums read"...when I click on it a dialogue box pops up giving the only option as "mark all forums read"? instead of the old option of "mark this forum read"?

Not to worry....it was a a useful feature but if it doesn't exist any more it's not the end of the world.

It does work as I described. I just went into the Headphones room and hit the button at the top saying ‘mark read’ and it popped up a dialogue box asking me if I wanted to mark the Headphones forum read. It is context sensitive, what it does depends upon where you are on the site map.

It does work as I described. I just went into the Headphones room and hit the button at the top saying ‘mark read’ and it popped up a dialogue box asking me if I wanted to mark the Headphones forum read. It is context sensitive, what it does depends upon where you are on the site map.
Tony...mark me down as a numpty and give me a lifetime ban.

It has just dawned on me that there are two options on the page to "mark as read"..... 'course, I was trying the wrong one.,,,,,,,,,eejit.

Last edited:
I moved to the darkside to try it out for a day or two.

After the initial shock I'm definitely staying with it - much prefer it!!

Hi Tony,

Has there been a change to the notification email behaviour? Previously I would get an email notifying of a reply to a watched thread, along with that reply's content. Now it's just a notification which means jumping back in to read the content. Although now I think of it, did this also change latterly on the old setup? Not a biggie, it just means using two apps where one would do.

Yes, I actively changed that one as way too many people replied to the email (which obviously just bounced back to me).

To be honest if there was a switch to do it I’d turn off all notifications aside from account confirmation and password resets. The notification system is a real PITA that I’m now paying for a professional system to handle. Running a forum of this size effectively requires running a corporate scale email system. 500-700 emails a day get sent out and far too many used to bounce back. I’ve now got automated bounce handling set up so more than one bounce just gets blocked from sending now, that is starting to calm things down at my end.

I read PFM with Firefox, on a Linux system. The new version works perfectly for me, but I find the new typeface very small and thin and difficult to read. Is that just the way it is, or can it be adjusted? If not, I can just increase the "zoom" of Firefox, but was wondering if I'm missing something.

There should be no difference at all in typeface. It certainly looks just the same to me here, it is just the control elements and some functionality that has changed. It also looked fine to me on my Raspberry Pi4 running Raspberry OS, and that’s the closest to Linux I have other than MacOS (again fine). I can’t explain it, and the problem as always is ‘Linux’ isn’t ever one thing! There are thousands of possibilities here, but my guess would be it is a font issue at your end.

There should be no difference at all in typeface. It certainly looks just the same to me here, it is just the control elements and some functionality that has changed. It also looked fine to me on my Raspberry Pi4 running Raspberry OS, and that’s the closest to Linux I have other than MacOS (again fine). I can’t explain it, and the problem as always is ‘Linux’ isn’t ever one thing! There are thousands of possibilities here, but my guess would be it is a font issue at your end.
Thanks, Tony. Just wanted to make sure. I'll fiddle at my end then.

This may be a small thing, but email notifications of a conversation (update) no longer contain the body text, so you have to log in to read it. Small beer, but different to the old version behaviour?

This may be a small thing, but email notifications of a conversation (update) no longer contain the body text, so you have to log in to read it. Small beer, but different to the old version behaviour?

I did that deliberately as you’d not believe the number of people who actually reply to the email (i.e. to me!).

Small request...

Just wondering if it's possible to move the thread page counter to the top of the page, as it used to be, so that when viewing on a phone, we don't have to scroll right to the bottom of the page to then select the most recent page... if that makes sense?

Thanks!
I've just discovered that if you click on, for example, '10 minutes ago' on the most recent post line in the index of threads, it takes you there. (To the most recent post, that is, not to 10 minutes ago. That would be really impressive.)

advertisement

Back