advertisement

PFM Help Sought: Choose my son's final eight...

Your favourites from his shortlist...

• Image 1

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Image 2

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Image 3

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Image 4

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Image 5

Votes: 37 75.5%
  • Image 6

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Image 7

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Image 8

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Image 9

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Image 10

Votes: 22 44.9%

• Total voters
Just as a comment about how to whittle these down, i'd suggest he comes up with a title for each of them. If he does that, I think he'll find that the ones that are hard to describe will have less clear messages, and don't tell as much of a story. Maybe these are then not as 'strong' and don't therefore make the grade.

Reactions: JTC
Just as a comment about how to whittle these down, i'd suggest he comes up with a title for each of them. If he does that, I think he'll find that the ones that are hard to describe will have less clear messages, and don't tell as much of a story. Maybe these are then not as 'strong' and don't therefore make the grade.
Good suggestion. He also has to think in terms of thematic cohesion, which the marking guidance stresses as criteria for assessment. More difficult in his case as he's attempted several different techniques - artificial lighting, composite images, perspective compression, etc. - the shoots for which don't always lend themselves to a cohesive overall selection, so it could be he has to lose (say) the artificially lit ruins (by night) as it doesn't necessarily fit.

This portfolio stuff is harder than just producing eight competent but unrelated images!

Also interesting to see which of these B&W images look 'flat' at compressed web resolution and which ones work. He has to submit 8 prints, and although they don't need to be exhibition grade, getting B&W done at Asda might fall flat (or purple!)...

I'd suggest that the 8 are as closely related style-wise as possible so it's obviously a well-curated collection of pictures. Then I think 1 and 2 exclude themselves

I can tell you which I find the least good:

1, 8: Confusing and disorientating perspective - eyes can't decide what to focus on.
2: Lack of interest, too much dark background.
11: Under exposed.

I wonder if I'd have liked 5 more if it was taken with the camera very low to the floor, pointing upwards to make it look larger than life.

advertisement

Back