advertisement

PFM Help Sought: Choose my son's final eight...

Your favourites from his shortlist...

• Image 1

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Image 2

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Image 3

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Image 4

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Image 5

Votes: 37 75.5%
  • Image 6

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Image 7

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Image 8

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Image 9

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Image 10

Votes: 22 44.9%

• Total voters

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey all, my son is doing photography at school and has been working on a portfolio documenting some of the coastal military defences in our area as his theme. We got down to a long-list of 33 images in a mix of colour and black and white, and then he made the decision to keep the final eight in black and white, so here are his 12 images and we've hit a bit of a problem whittling down to the last 8. So I figured, why not ask PFM and have a bit of fun. I had thought of putting it in the gentle ox-bow lake of the photo forum but figured it might get a bit more interest in the cascading rapids of the off topic forum.

So, if I can ask a favour from anyone who doesn't mind giving up a bit of time? If you could vote for your favourite images from these 12, up to 8 in total per person. Since I can only do a poll of up to 10 choices, if you want to vote for 11 or 12 say so in a comment.

My son can then get a better idea of what a wider audience might like. These aren't the absolute final edits, just first takes and he'll refine the images a bit before final submission. This might work and it might not. Let's see :)

DSCF7348-copy.jpg

DSCF7313-copy.jpg

DSCF7299-copy.jpg

DSCF7258.jpg

DSCF7245.jpg

DSCF7194.jpg

DSCF7193-copy.jpg

DSCF7184-copy.jpg

DSCF7164.jpg

DSCF7075-copy.jpg

DSCF7026-HDR-copy.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

Very nice - speaking with my graphic designer cap on, I do like a moody mono image. Have put in my choices, plus number 12.

Reactions: JTC
An interesting subject, is it the NE of Scotland?
I've seen good examples on the Black Isle, along the Forth estuary and also near Poolewe.
12 for me too.

12, 10, 9, 6, 5. Couldn't choose after that but to my wonky eye the above are in their own league.

Voted. I also chose 8 but for me it would be better without the foreground. I'd crop it to remove everything from the bottom 1/4 of the rock. So you've just got the top 3/4 (or so) of the rock and the view behind it.

I like 2 because it's a bit of a visual illusion photo. When I first saw it it looked like a horizon shot, took my eye a while to realise both what I was looking at and the point of view of the photo.

In my completely unprofessional opinion. I like the angle it was taken at (taken from below), simplicity, and the contrast between black and white of number 9. It's a bit different to the typical landscape (I find them so boring because they've been done to death).

Although I have a posh camera and understand the exposure triangle, I've only ever been interested in family snaps, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

Exclude 1,2,10,11. That's my take. The others are good. Is it possible to do something to 1 to make it less symmetrical?

Exclude 1,2,10,11. That's my take. The others are good. Is it possible to do something to 1 to make it less symmetrical?
He took several variations on this one, so yes. It was originally one of the colour choices, and we wanted to have something from that shoot in the final shortlist, so it's a basic b&w conversion. Is stronger in colour IMHO.

advertisement

Back