advertisement

Peter Hook to sue New Order

The one just called 'She' is a bit crap though.

Charles Aznavour - "She may be the beauty and the beast .....". Elvis Costello made a good stab of the song though.

Gram Parsons had a different song called "She" on his first solo album which is a lot less cloying, but sadly not one of his most memorable.

Obnoxious creep of a man.

Well no he comes over just fine to me as does Steven Morris. If anyone seems a bit sly these days, its Bernard Sumner.

Anyway its essentially none of my business but its very sad to see a fall out. I dont know exactly whats happened or if one band member leaving can prevent any further use of New Order name. Maybe nobody really works together for too long without money and business decisions ruining a relationship.

I sense Hooky has got a genuine grievance here and he doesn't strike me as a man who would create trouble over nothing.

The daft thing is Joy Division was Hook and Sumner's band, they were childhood mates and brought the others in. They really need their heads knocking together as I'm sure the whole thing is causing them pretty much equal pain. Life is far too short for this sort of thing.

another 'She' song: She's a Mod, by Ray Columbus and the invaders

and

She's so fine, by The Easybeats (better known for Friday on my mind)

reading the article in the guardian, there is clearly a case to answer. "oh, I know, we'll have a band meeting, without letting the other founding band-member and owner know, agree to effectively transfer the assets to a company we've formed of which he's not a beneficiary, and cut him out of the income stream. Ho ho, whizard prang".

Fine if you're teenagers, in corporate world you'd be looking at fraud. I hope Hooky gets every cent. They sound like a right bunch of twunts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad state of affairs, although if things happened the way Hooky says then I feel he is right in taking action.
I agree with Minstrel too, it seemed to me that Sumner was the sly one. Back in '81 I was a DJ & promoter & hosted a gig in Sheffield on their first New Order tour, & they were all a delight to talk to, apart from Sumner, who was rather aloof. Tony Wilson was very engaging too. I remember Gillian gave me a 7 inch single to play during the warm up by Marine, Life in Reverse, which was ace & she let me keep it. Hooky gave me 7 inch of Ceremony with his autograph on it too.
I took the opportunity to record the gig too, but one of the mics I used was duff so it isn't the greatest quality to say the least, but a good memento of the time all the same.

Who better for this mucky break up?

image.jpeg

If they have any sense they will settle this out of court. Saw New Order loads of times in the 80s, best gig was down in Margate of all places.

I'd think Hook used to be a nice bloke. He'd have to be really, becasue if he wasn't, people would not have been tolerant to the fact he can't really play bass very well at all.

To me, the article reads as if nothing too much is technically wrong with what they did even if it's morally questionable. This one will sort out in court quite easily I'd think.

I'd think Hook used to be a nice bloke. He'd have to be really, becasue if he wasn't, people would not have been tolerant to the fact he can't really play bass very well at all.

Not being a musician, I can't even judge whether someone is a 'good' player or not. For me craft is not the essence of whether something commands my interest. It seems to me that whatever his (Hook's) failings may (or may not) have been as a bass player, he rose above them and turned them to his advantage – within the context of those two bands' music.

Not being a musician, I can't even judge whether someone is a 'good' player or not. For me craft is not the essence of whether something commands my interest. It seems to me that whatever his (Hook's) failings may (or may not) have been as a bass player, he rose above them and turned them to his advantage – within the context of those two bands' music.

exactly, mark king may be a great bass player but i don't want to listen to all that ****y biddly biddly 3 million notes a second crap, give me one of hookey's basslines any day

Exactly all his bass lines are easy to play but I think he wrote most of those has bass lines and some of them are sublime.

I dont know about the back catalogue and royalty dispute but Hookys best off out of it.

Ive just watched some New Order on BBC red button. I could only dip in for a couple of minutes as they are just rubbish.

Its as if they are just trying to hide it all behind a light show. Boring.... crap singing.... everything buried in the mix and they were just murdering anything half decent on a previous album. Like a bunch of old fuddy duddies having a go

I have never rated New Order much. No sireeeee Bob

Much as I love New Order, I've always felt they were a studio band. I've seen them 5 times, all Manchester gigs, so you'd think they'd be on form for their hometown, and been underwhelmed every time.

I can't comment on any of the spin off projects live performances because the experiences with NO put me off seeing them.

If what appears to have happened did happen, ie, a new company was formed behind Hookys back and JD/NO royalties funnelled off, then he should absolutely sue the arses off them.

On the other hand that bloke out of Level 42 was a great bass player but I wouldn't get out of bed to open my curtains if he was playing in my back garden.

Better to have an instantly recognisable, catchy, high bass sound rather than be able to noodle around - so many more people care for the former.

...oh and he was holding his bass near his knees way before the 'nu-metal' bands did. :D

advertisement

Back