advertisement

Permali / Panzerholz, help!

Rexton

Wakefield Turntables
Gents,

Could I bother you all for suggestions with respscts to a recommendation for good quality Tungstan carbide jigsaw blades. I'm about to embark on an exciting journey.

Regards

Andy.

A brief search only found TC blades designed for ceramics, and the TC was just fragments randomly fixed - sort of like sandpaper.

Is panzerholz really so hard it needs TC? I thought it was wood with resin, neither of which is crazy hard.

I'd have thought tooth profile would be more critical than absolute hardness.

I'd use fine toothed metal cutting blades for Panzer and fiddle about with variable speed to find the sweet spot of cut vs heat.

Why use a jigsaw? Probably the worst tool for straight cuts.
A circular saw with a good tct blade would be what I would use.

Pete

I have had a couple of cuts in thick material go badly wrong using a jig saw one straight cut and one curved one. On both the underside didn’t match the top at all. A router would work.

Pete

+1 for the router for straight cuts, then a jigsaw with fine-toothed blade for the curves. I’ve found Permali to be fine with standard wood bits, but I’ve read that Panzerholz is more demanding of tool quality (and user patience!).

You can cut Panzerholz with a jigsaw and a blade designed for metal, but it's slow going, and the cut will wander on the back of the piece, even if you keep it on the line on top. I've only cut 12mm thick sheet-no doubt thicker pieces would be even more difficult to cut neatly. I'd agree that the best tool for the job is a router, along with suitable templates. It's interesting stuff, and arguably one of the best materials to make a turntable plinth or subchassis out of. Loudspeaker cabinets too. At some point I'll get around to making prototype subchassis and plinths, or at least bases, for some of the Linn and Rega Systemdek and Thorens bits I have here. I think there's potential for relatively inexpensive DIY decks using the motors and platters from those companies, or from 'go faster' upgrade parts suppliers.

I like to use engineering slot drills they have spiral flutes so they leave a very smooth surface.

Pete

I'm not! I've already seen several alternatives which are considerably cheaper and pretty much give the same specs as Panzerholz.

And they are ?...we need details. :)

My present turntable plinth is Panzerholz and I am about to make a new plinth for it. My original one was machined by a company using a cnc machine with carbide cutting tooling...its the only way to really get a fine finish without involving yourself in innumerable hours of hard work. Personal opinion ? ...a router with carbide bits and accurate cutting pattern jigs.

advertisement

Back