advertisement

Perhaps 'vintage' is the wrong title

Bob McC

Living the life of Riley
I was out scooping vinyl with Tony L today and we got talking about this section of the forum and how we'd like it to take off more.
A vibrant and active 'vintage' section might show as being more eclectic than a naim/Linn forum. Don't get me wrong I run a Linn/Naim rig myself but there is tons of brilliant kit out there from the seventies and eighties, much of it forgotten that is still capable of turning in a good performance.
For instance my son has got a set up to see him through uni of Revolver Rebel, A&R A60, Cambridge CD4, Rega Kytes and it always amazes me how good it sounds considering it cost all of £190 for the lot. I reckon it would give many brands' entry level systems a run for their money. Now I realise that such brand names may not be considered 'vintage', but its all old, still serviceable and sounds great.
So come on lets hear from you owners of such kit, as well as the Radford, Quad and Leak owners.

Bob

Out of curiosity, how much did he pay for his Kytes? Mine are in rear surround duties now (sacrilege!) as I needed to bring my old floorstanders back in to service in the other system...

Also - how much did he pay for the CD4 and does it have display off?

How about "Retro-fi" or something like that?

So come on lets hear from you owners of such kit, as well as the Radford, Quad and Leak owners.

All forums need their own identity, and I really want to build on pfm’s grounding for great value second hand kit and how to extract the last bit of fun from it. There is tons of superb old kit out there, we just need to attract its owners over here!

Some kit is seriously undervalued at the moment, the fact that you could easily build a system like say a Thorens TD125 / Sugden A48 / Spendor BC1 for under 400 quid second hand has to be a good thing – there is no excuse for buying some tinny thin sounding digital crap when there is real stuff to be had. Its this kind of kit that I want to get on board at pfm.

Old kit is great, IMHO things have moved forwards slowly at best, and backwards quite fast in many cases - I was in a record shop in Das Haag a couple of weeks ago and they had a huge pair of 70s IMF studio monitors just bolted to the wall. I was really impressed by how good they sounded even in this location and fed by less that great stuff upstream. Kit like this is an absurdly good bargain, I hate to think what a speaker like that would cost now. This is what this room is about.

Tony.

Vintage is the wrong title. However, in addition, this forum has such strong identity that I doubt that the kinds of people you are trying to attract to this section will ever turn up in numbers.

DARREN

I'd say there is a real wealth of 'no longer made but still good' kit out there, which ought to be better known and more prized.

I used ION systems before tubes. Super build and very reliable, definite classic kit worth looking out for. I had two ION Obelisk 3 amps with the X-Pak 1 psu's and bi-amped with them, using one for pre and HF the other for LF.

I think that, as in the car context, "old banger" may be more appropriate than "classic"! I certainly regard my second system - Nytech CTA252, Rotel RDC855, Thorens TD160 & Cheap speakers from Richer Sounds - to be more in the first category than the latter. Having said that, it still sounds pretty good as a three source system for under £300.

advertisement

Back