advertisement

perfect albums

concrete

pfm Member
Nevermind imo , is that rare thing , a record that is almost perfect , no filler , every song as good as each other , I must have listened to it a thousand times and I never tire of it , like all great records there's always something new to hear , new to discover , something you haven't noticed before, it is ****ing brilliant. Overated ? not possible , if anything it's underated.

I don't agree with fanny batter's choice of nevermind, but i like his description of perfect albums. i've got 3, all of which I know aren't necessarily objectively the best albums in the world, but which are, for me, essentially perfect. Spiderland by Slint; Endtroducing by DJ Shadow; Grace by Jeff Buckley.

So, what are your perfect albums?

Joy Division Unknown Pleasures
Young Marble Giants
The Slits Cut
Ian Dury New boots and panties
John Coltrane Ballads, Giant Steps
Mingus (about 3 or 4 including Black Saint, Mingusx5, Ah Um)

too many to list really.
Mind you I don't think any record is perfect, it kind of suggests that nothing can come afterwards.

Are you sure about Grace as well, I think it's a god awful racket, a bit like having toothache, although fortunately relief comes a bit sooner. I always think it's a record people are supposed to like rather than actually liking.

Siamese Dream , Smashing Pumpkins , the whole album does it for me
Closer . Joy Division
The Cure, first album
Thirteenth Step , A perfect circle
Rage against the machine , self titled ..pure anger
Ziggy Stardust .. David Bowie
Blood on the tracks , Bob Dylan
I could keep going , but I'm getting tired

Are you sure about Grace as well, I think it's a god awful racket, a bit like having toothache, although fortunately relief comes a bit sooner. I always think it's a record people are supposed to like rather than actually liking.
I disagree with utmost vehemence. A few months ago I heard one of the 'Grace' songs while driving, found it excellent and I patiently awaited the commentator. I didn't know Jeff Buckley before except from hearsay, and I ordered the vinyl right after I came home. Apart from a few Jazz records, this is by far the most interesting album I have heard in years. Beautiful voice and singing, and the instrumental track is nearly perfect too. Dare I add that if you don't like a record, it doesn't mean that it can't be liked by other people. Personally I have to show the same kind of tolerance towards guys who own twenty different pressings/versions of DSOTM.

Having been to the dentist last week I definitely prefer listening to Grace. It's permanently on the 'ready' pile close to my TT so why not enjoy it right now.

No I'm definitely sure about Grace. It was the first album I heard that I was actually totally stunned by, back when I was still learning about good music. And it's remained stunning for the 7 or 8 years it's taken me to have the music taste I have now, with the hundreds and hundreds of other albums I've heard in that time.

In summary, I definitely don't just like Jeff Buckley for the sake of liking Jeff Buckley. (tbh I hope I don't listen to anything because I'm supposed to like it)

ACDC if yu want blood
Michael hedges - live on a double planet
dick gaughan - live in edinburgh, different kind of love song

These records are excellent but not perfect - perfect if I had been there in person to hear em live!

master bobs, times they are a changin, is Pretty near perfect for me

Darren

Just shows how taste varies.

Good pick Zener with the Rage album

I also want Michael Gottsching E24 on my list

Minutemen -Double Nickels On The Dime
Smiths -Hatful of Hollow
Dinosaur Jr. -You're Living All Over Me
Pavement -Slanted & Enchanted '91
Nick Drake- Pink Moon

& Slint -Spiderland perhaps.

Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society
Fairport Convention - Unhalf Bricking
The Band - Music From Big Pink
Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Carole King - Tapestry

Here are a few that I’d not change a single thing about, i.e. no crap filler tracks, great running order, great cover art etc – a wonderful if slightly predictable list in rough date order:

Frank Sinatra – Songs For Swinging Lovers.
Mingus – Black Saint And The Sinner Lady.
John Coltrane – A Love Supreme.
Dexter Gordon – One Flight Up.
The Stooges – The Stooges.
The Doors – The Doors.
MC5 – Kick Out The Jams.
The Velvet Underground & Nico.
Amon Düül II – Yeti.
Marvin Gaye – What’s Goin’ On.
Can – Tago Mago.
Nick Drake - Pink Moon.
Hawkwind – In Search Of Space.
The Groundhogs – Split.
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions.
Joni Mitchell – Blue.
T. Rex – Electric Warrior.
Bowie – Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars.
Wire – Chairs Missing.
The Slits – Cut.
Magazine – Real Life.
Gang Of Four – Entertainment.
Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures.
Young Marble Giants – Colossal Youth.
OMD – OMD.
Dalek I – Compass.
Minutemen – Double Nickel On The Dime.
Husker Dü – Zen Arcade.
Firehose – Ragin’ Full On.
The Pixies – Doolittle.
Half Man Half Biscuit - Back In The DHSS.
The KLF – Chill Out.
The Orb – Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld.
Arab Strap – Philophobia.
Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun.
Godspeed You Black Emperor – F#A#∞
Pan Sonic – A.
Lambchop – Is A Woman.
Stereolab – Margarine Eclipse.
Múm – Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today Is Ok.

I can think of hundreds more that are nearly perfect but have something that irritates (e.g. every single Beatles album) and much jazz is omitted as I simply can’t decide, i.e. Monk made loads of great albums, but which to pick etc.

Tony.

No - like so many things, close, but not quite perfect - each either has weak tracks or a slightly odd running order - it speaks volumes that you picked Hatful which isn't a 'proper' album but an out-takes / comp!

Tony.

Too many to list. I wouldn't argue with anything listed here, apart from Jeff Buckley!

Come on, it's an "in" joke surely???? I would sooner listen to Will Young. :eek:

Yeah HofH is a proper album.. pedanticity otherwise! To add: Nina Nastasia- Dogs, but stop there as Im reitterating my 10 fav list so far..

I love every single track on Never Mind the Bollocks -Sex Pistols. Even 30 years later ( OK I probably actually bought my first one in '78 or '79 so 28 years ) I still love listening to every individual track and have never got bored of it. Even the cover is iconic.
My Virgin 21st Anniversary re-issue on shocking Pink vinyl is just the icing on a fabulous old cake. I've probably owned about 10 of the old slags in one version or another over the years , but like this one the best.

Although The Minutemen and others would certainly make my list, I'll try to stick to a few that haven't shown up thus far...all killa, no filla!

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour
The Upsetters - Super Ape
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
Deep Purple - Burn
Bobbie Gentry - Patchwork
Television Personalities - The Painted Word
Sun City Girls - Torch Of The Mystics
Brigitte Fontaine/Art Ensemble of Chicago - Comme a la Radio
Nina Simone - Emergency Ward!
Modern Lovers -The Modern Lovers
Milford Graves - Percussion Ensemble
The Pastels - Up For A Bit With The Pastels
The Dream Syndicate - The Days Of Wine And Roses
The Millennium - Begin
Skip Spence - Oar
The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo
The Red Crayola - Parable Of Arable Land
Neu! - Neu!

That's 20, but I could probably go on forever...

advertisement

Back