advertisement

Paul Messenger RIP

Anyone got any citation for this? I’m very nervous about running RIP threads without a solid source.

Very sad news if true anyway.

Anyone got any citation for this? I’m very nervous about running RIP threads without a solid source.

Very sad news if true anyway.
I was wondering where this had been reported too. A quick search only seems to turn up another forum with a similarl post.

I read the news on various Linn/ Naim/ HiFi groups on Facebook. No reason to believe it isn't true.
@Tony L please delete the thread if inappropriate

That is sad, I really valued his lab reports in particular. Reviews will suffer from his absence.

Paul Messenger, Malcolm Stewart and Jimmy Hughes were my reference reviewers back in the day. Or maybe still are.

I have a collection of old magazines (starting from 1989) and once in a while I pick a pile and revisit them.
To my sadness - because reading magazines is still one of my hobbies - today’s audio journalism quality is nowhere near to what we had in those days. There are very few exceptions of course, and this is only my opinion.

The reviews were several pages long, very detailed and technical, and I always got the feeling that I got to experience something after… Also the music (artist, title and label) was a constant reference throughout the review.

Fortunately, Hi-Fi News publish every month an old review of a component :)

Very sad news. He was here on pfm somewhere quite well concealed. I can’t remember the username, but I exchanged a few PMs with him in the past and met him at a show, again a long time ago. Nice guy, and like others have said one of the more significant reviewers. RIP.

I am very sad to hear this. I visited Paul at his house in Whitstable a few times and he was always a delight to be with and discuss things especially loudspeaker technology. He always had time for me and what I was doing at the time. I remember back in 2015 at Air Studios in London we talked a lot in the control room about the record being mastered. The recording session was even featured in Stereophile magazine, thanks to Paul.

RIP Paul, you were a lovely person and will be very sorely missed, especially in Hi-Fi circles. Condolences to his wife and family.

advertisement

Back