advertisement

Paul Kantner RIP

paul darwin

pfm Member
Paul Kantner founding member of Jefferson Airplane has died aged 74, completing a terrible month for losing musical legends.

RIP Paul.

Sad news...

.. here's a confession: from 1973-75, when ,according to the eulogies, everyone else was listening to Bowie, I was in thrall to Jefferson Airplane, buying the complete back catalogue and several of what were, for me as a 14 yr old, expensive US imports. I even, for a few months, worked in a record store called White Rabbit in Barnet.I bought up with Bowie when Low came out and was hooked from there but the middle years were all about Jefferson Airplane, Neil Young, and Gram Parsons while my cooler classmates were, along with the rest of the world it seems, only playing Bowie and Roxy Music ( although, in reality, except for Catherine Lockyear who was in my class and thought I was a freak, they were all listening to Abba and the soundtrack to Grease) .

If I want to get back to my early teen years I'm still as likely to play After Bathing at Baxters or Crown of Creation as anything else.

Paul Kantner wrote or played on much of that soundtrack.

tbh I was in thrall to ZigZag and the NME at the time - here's the NME's best of 1974 - Diamond Dogs came out that year. It's not in the list but Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash by Mike Nesmith is.

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/1974.html

Very sad news. The Airplane were one of the great bands, to me their power came from an understanding of dynamics and Kantner was the glue that held it all together.
RIP Paul.

Surrealistic Pillow is still one of the great albums - I have a superb recent pressing, can't remember which. I've come to appreciate the J.Starship LPs more recently, sound great on good equipment.

PK outlived Garcia by 20 years, which is something!

I grew up listening to Jefferson Airplane and they led me to QMS, Hot Tuna and, of course the Dead.
RIP Paul Kantner

P.S. - Crown of creation just started playing on Radio Paradise as I was typing this!

Bugger me. Another one of my favs has gone. Funny I have just purchased Sunfighter and Baron von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun on CD. Always loved Blows Against The Empire. This has starting to become a very dipresasaing year.

Mike

advertisement

Back