advertisement

Passive pre-amps with remote ?

I may be looking at getting something decent at some point in the not too far distant future.
I only need one input and it has to have a remote.
What experience do you have of what is available, and might you have one that you may be thinking of selling on ?

Budget is fairly open but ideally not too high (helpful or what..?)
Icon audio do a passive preamp worth a remote control option.

Steve, if I were in your position (in some ways I am) I would want to try the Eversolo A8 to use as a streamer, dac and preamp. I understand it's an analogue preamp stage so, unlike with most dacs, you'll be attenuating the noise as well as the volume at the high levels of attenuation needed with the Leak. I don't know how well it would work so you'd need to try at home from a dealer, but if it did you'd free up three boxes.

Otherwise, the Khozmos do seem to work well with the ST20 within their price range, and a noticeable step up from Tisbury for me. Khozmo sister brand Hattor could also be worth a look. If I won the lottery the MFAs would be on my list, but not before.

I would want to try the Eversolo A8 to use as a streamer, dac and preamp. I understand it's an analogue preamp stage..
I hadn't paid enough attention to it. Meanwhile, I have the DMP-A6, which is the streamer/dac, it has 5.2v/2.6v (XLR/RCA) output when used as a preamp. I think it's a game changer in what's available for the money (860€), put it like this, I bought and still have an Oppo 203, which essentially is never used. I used the Oppo for streaming.

Functionally, the Oppo & the Eversolo overlap to a large extent, (Roon Ready, both can be used in an AV context), but the Eversolo is just so much more convenient to use. It also sounds very good, and to me, very honest in its presentation.

Which brings me back to the passive preamp question, I'm tempted to go for a XLR in/out passive, but I am just not convinced it would be better than just using 1 XLR cable between the A6 and the Temple Audio Monoblocks.

Which brings me back to the passive preamp question, I'm tempted to go for a XLR in/out passive, but I am just not convinced it would be better than just using 1 XLR cable between the A6 and the Temple Audio Monoblocks.
I own both the A6 and the A8, and although I cannot do the comparison for you, I don't have a power amp, I would think placing a pre between the A6 and your Temple monoblocks. Why not ask on here if someone has a spare passive that they would let you borrow for one week, only costing you postage. If I had a spare you'd be welcome.

Why not ask on here if someone has a spare passive that they would let you borrow for one week, only costing you postage. If I had a spare you'd be welcome.
I have a Khozmo and it's RCA only, I don't have RCA inputs into the TA's. Otherwise, that would be a good idea, but I don't live in the UK, and since Brexshit, that's made such a mess of everything (to put it mildly).

Icon audio do a passive preamp worth a remote control option.
Another one for the list, thanks.
You can have one made https://bte-designs.weebly.com/bte-designs-passive-preamplifiers.html and at a competitive price.

Antony's email address [email protected]
That's interesting, I'll see how things go and maybe ask for a price. Thanks.
Steve, if I were in your position (in some ways I am) I would want to try the Eversolo A8 to use as a streamer, dac and preamp. I understand it's an analogue preamp stage so, unlike with most dacs, you'll be attenuating the noise as well as the volume at the high levels of attenuation needed with the Leak. I don't know how well it would work so you'd need to try at home from a dealer, but if it did you'd free up three boxes.

Otherwise, the Khozmos do seem to work well with the ST20 within their price range, and a noticeable step up from Tisbury for me. Khozmo sister brand Hattor could also be worth a look. If I won the lottery the MFAs would be on my list, but not before.
Alex, I'm rather wedded to the bluesound node as we have a couple and a few of their speakers in the kitchen and what I grandly can the gym. It's taken my wife a long time to work out how to use it so I'd get grief if I changed it.

If I get time today I'll try to plug in the Tisbury to see what happens.....

I have a Khozmo and it's RCA only, I don't have RCA inputs into the TA's. Otherwise, that would be a good idea, but I don't live in the UK, and since Brexshit, that's made such a mess of everything (to put it mildly).
I can't see the point in using a passive between the Eversolo and the Temple monoblocks. Set them to their lowest gain setting and not much noise will get through from the digital preamp section. I use an RME into mine and never noticed a problem. Nonetheless, RCA > XLR is an easy cable to find (didn't know the TAs were XLR, mine are RCA).

I use an RME into mine and never noticed a problem. Nonetheless, RCA > XLR is an easy cable to find (didn't know the TAs were XLR, mine are RCA).
I had mine modified, they were originally RCA, and prior to 2017 I think there was no XLR option, I had TA change them to XLR after I bought the RME. I have never exploited the full potential of the RME, I'll move it on soon. I don't find it clearly better than the DMP-A6.

OK, I've had a moments peace so have plugged in the Tisbury both between the Quad 66 and the Stereo 20 and tried it without the 66, ie directly from the dac into the 20.
Both times there is a big loud hum, I guess it's an earth loop thing so very quickly unplugged.
Not good. Any ideas what I might try?
I'm away for a week as of tomorrow afternoon which is annoying but will see if there is anything I can do later this evening.
By the way, many thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far.

advertisement

Back