advertisement

Passive pre-amps with remote ?

Steve, if you have a Tisbury on the way, try it first and see what you think. Why is a remote so important? Remind me what power amp, do you actually need a passive, and what is deficient in the Quad?
Hi Alex,
The plan is to try the Tisbury between the Quad 66 pre and my recently acquired Leak Stereo 20 (like I believe you have..)
There is nothing deficient in the Quad at all, but a little more control over the volume would be nice. The tilt and bass filters are pretty essential to tailor the sound.
The Tisbury will be set at whatever volume allows me full use of the volume dial on the 66.
Having never used or even seen a passive pre I'm also curious to see what my system sounds like without the 66, there is the possibility that by tube rolling I may not even need the tilt and filters so may be able to live without the Quad.
If that happens I then have to have a remote as I'm a lazy slob and don't want to get up to adjust the volume.

Surely some attenuators might be better?

Cute little thing, and really good sounding, and especially so for the money.

As long term solution, very probably.
I did wonder about trying some but figured that the Tisbury was worth trying and I'd not lose much if it didn't work out for me. It also gives me the opportunity to try a passive on its own.
I also don't recall seeing many attenuators sold second hand.

The creek obh22 is excellent and less than 200 used.
Betters the likes of Tisbury , etc with remore.

I did wonder about trying some but figured that the Tisbury was worth trying and I'd not lose much if it didn't work out for me. It also gives me the opportunity to try a passive on its own.

Don't forget that the Tisbury has dip switches underneath for 0db, -6db and -12db (from memory, yours is set to 0....)

I had some lovely listening sessions with that and the Aleph.

To get back to the OP, there seems to be a slight tension to me between the apparent purism of a passive (which has benefits, but also costs), and the idea of attaching a powered motorised volume control. Perhaps that's why the Allegri Reference is so arse-clenchingly expensive.

Steve, I use -20dB Rothwell Attenuators with my passive pre (Django TVC). I tried -10dB but they do not allow enough fine volume adjustment.

A new set are £49. Well worth it and near essential with a ST20 as they are zero to hero on the volume otherwise.

most people start with a tisbury,and move on....
a saga will give you a lot more
passive and valve buffer...
for say another £150 and a remote if bought used.

most people start with a tisbury,and move on....
a saga will give you a lot more
passive and valve buffer...
for say another £150 and a remote if bought used.
I use a Tisbury and have recently added a Musical Fidelity XD10 valve buffer to great effect - no remote though. I will check out the Saga as this might tick all my boxes too

So what is a valve buffer and what does it do?
Excuse my ignorance, although you may ask be getting used to it by now..
It's to add a valve sound, I believe. But you've got an ST20 valve amp, so it would be pointless imo, other than adding a twist to the sound. You could do that valve rolling, which you are already doing with your valve purchases.

It's to add a valve sound, I believe. But you've got an ST20 valve amp, so it would be pointless imo, other than adding a twist to the sound. You could do that valve rolling, which you are already doing with your valve purchases.
Thanks for that Pete, very helpful!

advertisement

Back