advertisement

Passive pre-amps with remote ?

OK, just wondering now.
Surely a dac with volume control and some sort of filters (like tone controls, I need to turn the bass down a notch and raise the treble by one too) to adjust the sound would do the job given that I only need the one digital input?
I had an RME dac a few years ago which was way to complicated for me to ever work out where the filters were but might this be something to look into, should I start a 'What Dac' thread.....?

For what it's worth, my system is a pimped bluesound node streamer into an old rega dac, then into a quad 66 pre (mainly for the tilt and filters and remote) then on to my power amp.
Saga cost effective and gives chance to play with various options if its a valve version . Looks like all out of stock tho

I have a Creek OBH-22 on eBay, no remote but I believe you can buy non Creek ones. It's a stunning piece of kit, and now I know just how good passives are my intention is to go the way of Music First Audio.

I was looking and reading about those last night , nice but way above the OPs budget.

I was going to suggest Creek.

Yes, quite expensive. They may sell the Autoformer modules separately if asked. Would be much less costly but require diy. I know that Dave Slagle did this with his previous company, Intact Audio.

I bought one of these years ago when they were USD 1,200. Still have it…just a great thing to have laying around to use with different amps…

+1 for MFA here, currently using the baby reference,.had it since 2016 and it's not going anywhere.

I have tried it with a few different amps and it ranges from kinda underwhelming to Jesus this thing is incredible, so careful matching is required to get the most out of them.

I had the model down (with the uprated transformers) prior to this and it was also very good.

Yes, quite expensive. They may sell the Autoformer modules separately if asked. Would be much less costly but require diy. I know that Dave Slagle did this with his previous company, Intact Audio.

I bought one of these years ago when they were USD 1,200. Still have it…just a great thing to have laying around to use with different amps…
I actually didn't think the passives were too pricey in comparison to some models from Townshend, MFA or Icon, not cheap by no means either.

You cant go wrong with this really

I have a Creek OBH-22 on eBay, no remote but I believe you can buy non Creek ones. It's a stunning piece of kit, and now I know just how good passives are my intention is to go the way of Music First Audio.
I have one of these, & can confirm that they are very good indeed, especially considering the price. Mine is the remote version, & it could be available when my valve pre is back from being fettled, hopefully in the next week or two.

I bought the Creek OBH-22 when it came out and have used it for all these years, in my stereo system at times but mainly with my PC and active speakers. It was a bargain for what I paid and recommend it.

Steve, if you have a Tisbury on the way, try it first and see what you think. Why is a remote so important? Remind me what power amp, do you actually need a passive, and what is deficient in the Quad?

advertisement

Back