advertisement

Passive pre-amps with remote ?

steveinspain

pfm Member
I may be looking at getting something decent at some point in the not too far distant future.
I only need one input and it has to have a remote.
What experience do you have of what is available, and might you have one that you may be thinking of selling on ?

Budget is fairly open but ideally not too high (helpful or what..?)

Bought a lovely Audio Synthesis Passion Ultimate on the bay with a remote earlier this year. Good luck in finding another though !
I have Tisbury that I'm looking to move on. Try it out if you like ?.... Spain though ?

MFA sometimes have a remote or it can be retro fitted . superb preamps
MFA - Musical Fidelity ?
EDIT - just found out that it is Music First Audio...
I'm sure Khozmo do remote control passives
They do I believe, not looked at anything yet but would assume they will be expensive...
Bought a lovely Audio Synthesis Passion Ultimate on the bay with a remote earlier this year. Good luck in finding another though !
I have Tisbury that I'm looking to move on. Try it out if you like ?.... Spain though ?
Thank's but I have a Tisbury on it's way to me but it has no remote.
No longer in Spain, but a very kind offer!

'Interesting' price though. If the OP thinks that the Khozmo might be expensive...:oops:

I use a Schiit saga plus,it has a switchable valve buffer section and passive section and full remote control of inputs and modes etc.
Use it with my st20. Sta25,909. And gives nothing away to a dual mono khomozo.

Khozmo ....
They do I believe, not looked at anything yet but would assume they will be expensive...
Depends, and it depends what you consider expensive.
I had a Khozmo based 3 input passive built 6 years ago, without a remote, cost me 430 GBP. Today on Khozmo's website, 300 GBP for something broadly equivalent. The remote control, version OTOH, doubles the price.

Ever thought of making your own. I made one some time ago and have not looked back. Used a TKD pot as opposed to the ubiquitous
Alps pot one sees everywhere. My opinion, for what it is worth, the TDK is streets ahead of the alps. Only £5 to get a cheap remote control
board from places like Ali express.

Ha, one for when the lottery comes up maybe..
Indeed. I had the "basic" Allegri+, and only let it go to simplify my system for my wife, going to an Accuphase integrated with a phono board. It still didn't work for her, but otherwise I would still have the Allegri+. It just disappeared, sonically.

Not sure what else they could have on it.
Switchable input
Volume control
Passive or valve buffer mode
Mute.
All in a lovely tactile machined aluminium remote, that is magnetic also.

The khomozo remote version is basic and silly expensive.

Ever thought of making your own. I made one some time ago and have not looked back. Used a TKD pot as opposed to the ubiquitous
Alps pot one sees everywhere. My opinion, for what it is worth, the TDK is streets ahead of the alps. Only £5 to get a cheap remote control
board from places like Ali express.
No, I've not. I know nothing whatsoever about electronics although I can solder to a basic reasonable standard. If there was a kit or guide then I might be tempted. I'd have no idea what components to buy or what was good quality.
I kind of assumed that the Khozmo ones went from fairly basic to very high quality, but all using quality components.
I don't care about appearance at all. My fashion sense gives that away.

OK, just wondering now.
Surely a dac with volume control and some sort of filters (like tone controls, I need to turn the bass down a notch and raise the treble by one too) to adjust the sound would do the job given that I only need the one digital input?
I had an RME dac a few years ago which was way to complicated for me to ever work out where the filters were but might this be something to look into, should I start a 'What Dac' thread.....?

For what it's worth, my system is a pimped bluesound node streamer into an old rega dac, then into a quad 66 pre (mainly for the tilt and filters and remote) then on to my power amp.

No, I've not. I know nothing whatsoever about electronics although I can solder to a basic reasonable standard. If there was a kit or guide then I might be tempted. I'd have no idea what components to buy or what was good quality.
I kind of assumed that the Khozmo ones went from fairly basic to very high quality, but all using quality components.
I don't care about appearance at all. My fashion sense gives that away.
HiFi collective do a kit, or kits.

advertisement

Back