advertisement

Panther Electronics NZ - Roberts - Info sought

Mignun

pfm Member
Hi all,

does anyone know any history for Panther Electronics of New Zealand? All I could find was some company info - incorporated in 1973 and then dissolved in 1991.

Panther made the Roberts STA-50 amplifier, which seems to have been quite highly thought of in the late '70s and early '80s, particularly for its build quality and its ability to drive Linn Saras.

I have one of these and it's a very good amp indeed. I'm just trying to find out a bit of the history behind it, so if anyone can provide anything, even if it's just recollections of hearing on in action, I'd appreciate your input.

An image from Audioenz:

roberts_sta-50.jpg

I haven't had any luck so far. Even asking some friends in the hifi trade in NZ didn't get me any answers.

It's the latest addition to my collection and I'm discovering that it's a quality bit of kit - nice click stop controls, what look like ALPS pots and remote switches, well laid out inside, with the only real downside being the speaker terminals and the fact that the wires up to the terminals are spades rather than soldered - an easy mod to make. Looks like mine has been re-capped in recent years and it takes the best part of entire minute before the caps discharge at switch-off. It's absolutely noise free and right on the button. It's only been used as a headphone amp so far but it has done so with great aplomb. The treal test will be to drop it right into the big Naim system and see how it gets on...

I remember it. helped a mate buy a used system based on one when we were just out of high school. I thought the quad 33/303 system was a much better buy. I didn't think the Roberts was that special, though it was better than the typical Kenwood/Technics/Pioneer etc of the era. One sees them from time to time on the ether-auctions down here.

it drove KEFs nicely, and did not offend.

Thanks Rico, I was hoping it would ring a bell with you. I haven't tried it in proper anger yet - but there's plenty to compare against including a nicely serviced and updated Quad 33/303 set!

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting too much, but it has so far exceeded expectations, which is always nice when it happens. It could have turned out to sound like a Perreaux after all, so rather relieved that it's no such thing.

Looks rather similar to Rotel amps of that era, even down to the button and switch types. Could it have been a custom manufactured product for Panther?

Hi Martin, here is a STA 60 for sale on Trademe NZ at the moment.
Made in ChristChurch by Panther Electronics owned at the time by Phil Roberts. It is an all discrete design, no ICs, It has seperate transformer windings and power supply stages for left and right Power amps. Features variable switched turnover frequencys for the tone controls.
With 3hrs to run there is one bid at NZ100.00
I will see what else I can dig up
Errol.

ps, A little bit more, It is an AC coupled design and uses a triplet output stage, the owner thinks the 60 refers to 30W x 2 (all this is straight off the auction site)
You maybe able to contact the seller yourself. on trademe.co.nz

Photos

RobertsSTA60.jpg

Sold, for NZ$100.00

Hey, Ive nearly finished fixing up my roberts sta-50II. Ive just replaced the main output transistors and i am planning to take it in to get tuned up by Phil Roberts himself as he still does servicing here in christchurch. Hopefully i can get some documentation from him when i do this and also find out a bit about the amp. Ill let you know if i find out anything interesting!

dkrycroft, that's great news, thanks. Any more info you can find out would be very helpful.

Hi, sorry to hijack here but I have an sta50 (which to my knowledge is in working order) I am just curious to know what it is worth as was looking at selling it.

advertisement

Back