advertisement

Panic Room - thanks 'progrock.com'

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
So I have been listening to progrock.com for a while as break from radioparadise.

They played a track, 'Into Temptation', by a band called Panic Room.

This band is great - if you like Magenta, IQ, Manning etc. then you will like Panic Room.

Currently listening to the 2014 album 'Incarnate'.

I love discovering new music!

Hmm.. I don't 'hate' it but, as you say, all a bit 'up-beat' for my tastes ;).

I've just received my 'super' boxed set of Radioheads OKNOTOK (OK Computer) - now that's 'uplifting' :).

So I have been listening to progrock.com for a while as break from radioparadise.

They played a track, 'Into Temptation', by a band called Panic Room.

This band is great - if you like Magenta, IQ, Manning etc. then you will like Panic Room.

Currently listening to the 2014 album 'Incarnate'.

I love discovering new music!

You might like Karnataka - the associate group of some of the Panic Room members

Thanks for the progrock dot com tip. I was finding Progzilla and Progman a little basic in format and repetitive in content. Although one or the other did introduce me to Panic Room!

Panic Room are indeed a brilliant band and so overlooked I almost posted in the unknown bands thread. Followed them from the beginning -- Cambridge Rock 2010/11 I think. Seen them numerous times with very poor audience turn out -- usually around 50 folks. Maybe the new DVD will sort that.
Another Karnataka derived band, the now defunct The Reasoning are worth a listen and for a more gentler sound try John and Anne Marie's side project Luna Rossa, the Heather Findlay Band (ex Mostly Autumn) or even Oedin Dragonfly's only CD.
All new Prog Rock isn't Steven Wilson projects!
Steve

Also worth seeking out is Big Big Train. They spent ages perfecting and honing their sound, as you'll see if you plumb their back catalogue. But from the Underfall Yard onwards is where it all happens, and they're now on the edge of greatness in my opinion. The line up now includes Dave Gregory (ex-XTC), Rachel Hall (ex-Stackridge), Nick D'Virgilio (ex Spock's Beard)and Rikard Sjöblom (ex-Beardfish) as permanent members.

I have SKIN from 2012, and Visionary Position from 2008. I remember liking them quite a lot, but haven't listened in a while. I'll have to dig them out now.

Try Satellite by Panic Room, I have followed them over the years at gigs they are a very underrated band Anne Marie Helder has a powerfull voice to hear live.

Agree, Panic Room are superb. All their releases are on my CD shelf together with Karnataka and The Reasoning. Big Big Train are brilliant and "The Underfall Yard" should be on the shelf of any modern prog lover. Haven't got into their latest "Grimspound" yet, though, despite several plays.

Key to keeping up with current artists and their releases is reading the Dutch Prog Rock site www.dprp.net Fantastic place where I've discovered numerous artists over the years.

Other music hints come from a couple of UK suppliers which I've used happily for years:
www.caerllysimusic.co.uk
www.progrock.co.uk

Never heard of Panic Room but just Spotified "Skin" and deffo rather fine.
Thanks for the heads up!
Keep 'em coming . . . :)

Check out Pumarosa - a space/prog style band, with an amazing lead singer. I caught them on Jools Holland a couple of months ago, and looking forward to seeing them in Brighton in November.

Really like Black Mountain, Shaman Elephant are well worth checking out.

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back