advertisement

Pandora's Box- CDP?

bec143

pfm Member
I really just wanted to get a cheapish TT and buy some records. I then decided I didn't like my speakers any more and ended up with new ATCs. Now, in playing CDs for the first time in a while (instead of Sonos) my trusty Naim CD5 is showing some early laser issues (and can't be repaired). Not even sure I really want a CDP but I do have a lot of CDs. So what to replace it with? I really like the CD5 sound and I have a Hicap so a CD5si is a possibility. But I want more features (digital out) and don't want to drop $2K on a CDP when it's use will be modest at best.

There must be better CDPs to be for less these days. I will stay away from older things with limited repair options.

Suggestions?

I’d seriously look at an Innuos Zen Mini with Linear Power Suppy. I used to have a CDX/XOS2.

You can burn all your CDs onto it & it opens up streaming options. Sounds great.

I also have an ATC CDA2 which at least equalled my old player.

Speaking of Rotel, I have a Rotel 865 (not the BX version, this is better!) you could have for £100 plus shipping!

It will need running in again though because it hasn't been used for a while - no remote - also it's got a shed load of Black Gate Caps inside (the Black Gates are the reason why it need running in again, see here for an explanation as to why: https://sw1xad.co.uk/technology_post/black-gate-capacitors/

Ah just noticed - you want digital out - this doesn't have that option.

I have a Rega Saturn-R which has full DAC inputs and digital out and sounds fantastic. I already saw off a Nain CDX/XPS and a about three years ago or so I bought a Naim CD5XS to see how that compared. The XS has a reputation of being one of Naim's better players and closer to their best than the slimiline box might suggest.

I expected they two players to trade punches but that wasn't the case. The Rega was so much better is was embarrassing. It sounded organic, clear and musical while the Naim was harsh and mechanical.

The Saturn-R is the best CD player I've had in my system by miles. You can pick them up used for close to a grand and the DAC inputs (Optical, Coax and USB) make it a very versatile box.

not sure what you have in seattle but anything marantz is worth buying . very reliable and excellent quality

This thread about finding a CD Player has given me the appetite to give the Rotel I mentioned a spin (and a run-in) - It's playing on repeat now.

I have cleaned the plug contacts which were a little blackened - and put some sorbothane big feet underneath for better support.

Anyway good luck with your search.

I thought I would mention that there are various Auralic Streamers that accommodate an attached CD mech so that you can play CDs through it - such as the Auralic Mini and G1 (I have both of these). If the mech fails which is the only moving part you can get another one cheaply.

Don't know how many CDs you have but maybe rip them.
This is probably the right answer, I have a bunch of CDs burned. But I would like to find a very good sounding CDP that is reasonable and bombproof (at least for a while). I sure am not buying new CDs!

I was an early streamer, but never put out for a high price hardware and instead went with different Squeezeboxes and various mods/tweaks (remember linear power supplies?) with rotating DACs (various NOS-DACs, Benchmark, Chord). In the end, we never thought any iteration beat the CD5 and I didn't like all the ripping, AAP v FLAC etc, compression test, the crap user interfaces, etc. It was effort intensive and not worth it. I gave up on streaming audiophila and happily listened to kitchen SB/DACs/NAD integrated/Diamonds, especially as more lossless content became available.That system went away after a kitchen remodel and is is now Sonos, which with Tidal/Spotify is better all around.

I might try a newer implementation I have read good things about Wiim Pro, but am inherently skeptical, and I bet there are other reasonable streamers (I have not paid attention lately). I don't want to go Naim/Linn for this- doesn't make sense to me. And I don't want to go Raspberry Pi, headless server, etc. Through with that. While the Sinos sounds awfully good (for 3" drivers), I would like to have a digital source in the main system.

I have a Rega Saturn-R which has full DAC inputs and digital out and sounds fantastic. I already saw off a Nain CDX/XPS and a about three years ago or so I bought a Naim CD5XS to see how that compared. The XS has a reputation of being one of Naim's better players and closer to their best than the slimiline box might suggest.

I expected they two players to trade punches but that wasn't the case. The Rega was so much better is was embarrassing. It sounded organic, clear and musical while the Naim was harsh and mechanical.

The Saturn-R is the best CD player I've had in my system by miles. You can pick them up used for close to a grand and the DAC inputs (Optical, Coax and USB) make it a very versatile box.
I will have look. I remember the old Planet I had before the CD5 (and right after an older AMC)! I seem to have mostly UK stuff.

The CD5 can be repaired, just not by Naim. A resourceful techie can source the necessary laser/transport (if indeed that is the problem) either a Chinese clone or a cannibalized part from a cheap old player. I say this from experience; don't believe the naysayers.

If my CD5X dies (I’ve lost a channel so it may be dead, but I haven’t sent it to be looked at yet), I will be looking closely at an audiolab transport and a dac of some variety.
That's what I did when my CD3.5 died. Ended up with an Audiolab transport and a Simaudio Moon DAC.

I would only consider a CD Player now if you like collecting the media itself, which I can understand is a thing. However, SQ differences I believe are very small now at a similar price point, which wasn't the case only a few years ago, CD won everytime for me. I left CD replay last year and don't miss it really, convenience is great after the ripping and I don't get anxious about which format I want to buy an album on anymore as vinyl is my only physical format now. Consider budget for a reliable backup solution if you do go for ripping though and you can't just rely on streaming in my view.

Wiim Pro and an oldish Rotel should do it.
My Wiim Pro Plus arrived 6 hrs after I ordered it from Amazon on Tuesday. Easy to hook up and sync to various services

I am extremely impressed so far, just using its internal DAC and RCA out. Sounds great and I have ittle desire to mess around with the DAC and power supply collections. And its nice to have EQ back in the house!

Unless I am missing something, it's spectacular for $200!

advertisement

Back