advertisement

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

I saw a comparison of pics from an LX3 and a D lux 4 on the net and the latter shots looked better to my untutored eye, the colours in particular seemed more natural.

I intend to lay my hands on one of these two and would like to hear further comments from owners

Only in jpeg (the in camera processing) if you let your computer do the conversion from RAW they will be identical and better looking anyway.

On the other hand if you can't be fussed with doing that you might want to think about the tiny Olympus micro four thirds due out soon, if you have the cash for the Leica you'll kick yourself when this comes out!

Now, just a thought here:

I recently upgraded the firmware of my LX3 by just downloading a file and transferring it to the cam. Power off and back on, voila. Leica is offering a firmware of their own on the net, loading this makes it a Dlux4 in disguise?

I've been waiting and waiting for more info on the Oly, hence my not plunging on the LX3. Hope it's all it promised/is hoped to me.

Nice stream.

I've not given up, just thought I'd hold out to see what the Oly ended up as - I'm afraid it will end up being bigger than hoped for, and more expensive, so I'll probably end up falling back towards the LX3. After all, the intention is for something that remains in my pocket at all times - though I wonder if even the LX3 is a bit bulky for that.

However, a reasonable telephoto on the Pentax for some better bird pics is probably a higher priority.

John, two things in particular I find about my LX2. Firstly I am more likely to have it on me than and other camera I ever owned, I have to make a conscious effort to take my DSLR out so I understand why you want to complement your Canon.

Secondly, I shoot as much short burst video as I shoot stills, sadly the software is Apple Quicktime but thankfully I use a convertor to AVI and never have to use QT.

It's like any camera really, it's a tool and either fits in with the way you work or doesn't and I can understand all comments from those who choose for or against. When I use it for stills it's usually casual family shots plus shots of hobby items, eBay sales etc. I don't try to use it for the same things as my Olympus and I am glad I have it around. Much better than the Oly mju I used to keep for the casual stuff.

Now, just a thought here:

I recently upgraded the firmware of my LX3 by just downloading a file and transferring it to the cam. Power off and back on, voila. Leica is offering a firmware of their own on the net, loading this makes it a Dlux4 in disguise?

Would be nice but something will prevent it I'm sure, are you going to try it?

I'm too much of a sissy....

(But I'm sure you could do it with some tricks. Kids do it all the time with their Cellphones. )

I'm too much of a sissy....

(But I'm sure you could do it with some tricks. Kids do it all the time with their Cellphones. )

I bet if you just turn the colour saturation down by a notch and expose at minus 2/3rds EV you'll get the same effect :)

By the way
is the Lumix DMC-TZ5 similar to the DMC-LX3? or are there big differences in picture quality?

Jean-Christophe

advertisement

Back