advertisement

Pair 15” Tannoy ‘Silver’

Tony L

Administrator
’TANNOY 15" silver speakers pair with crossovers‘ is the “detailed description”, backed up with pictures typical of a Windows 95-era web-cam, but never mind, its only £12k! Obviously a crazy rare and valuable pair of speakers, but good grief that is a lazy listing!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
’TANNOY 15" silver speakers pair with crossovers‘ is the “detailed description”, backed up with pictures typical of a Windows 95-era web-cam, but never mind, its only £12k! Obviously a crazy rare and valuable pair of speakers, but good grief that is a lazy listing!

What to expect from emporiumhifi.

Over priced is his form.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I guess it is just an announcement really, anyone in the market would go and see them, assess them and have a good haggle. I’ve no idea what the going rate is for vintage Tannoys, but as you go back the price tends to double or slightly more. I’ve been quietly looking for a really good clean pair of 15” Reds & crossovers to fully restore my ‘60s Lockwood cabs with a pretty decent budget in my pocket and nothing interesting has shown up for years. Vintage Tannoys are getting very, very rare. I suspect most of them left the UK long ago.

There are singles for sale both in the UK and the US, both at auction, both with crossovers - see what prices they make.

This "pair" is not - the serial nos. are far apart. Presumably someone had a single and then stereo came along and they bought another. Which makes far more sense than them being an actual pair, given their age.

I was unaware that Emporium is regarded generally as expensive. My impressioon has always been that you get a fair deal.

Nick at The Emporium has always treated me very fairly. He's also good at dealing with problems.
But, I would agree that his listings are very lazy.

This "pair" is not - the serial nos. are far apart. Presumably someone had a single and then stereo came along and they bought another.

That is very normal for Tannoy even in the stereo era (Reds, Golds). Many examples of speakers bought as a pair in cabs have serials hundreds apart. That said in the Silver-era there was no stereo, it hadn’t been invented!

Oh, and if Nick does get £12K, he won't, £2K will be VAT.

Although the single is a trade sale too.

How much of a premium for buying two in one shot, rather than buying one and then sitting, waiting for another? Probably quite a bit, IMO.

Don't think so. I think there prices are great. Don't forgot they take px and nick is very good to his long customers. Very fair decent guy
Should be better to all customers, most people i chat to have not had a good experience at all.
Some of the issues comically incompetent ....

Emporium have been ok with me.
Price wise, I don't think this is crazy, though I think Tannoy prices have dropped a little in real terms since brexit. The hassle free market of the EU which underpinned the international one has shrunk to poverty knock Uk. I'm sure a serious buyer with a Harry Enfield wedge to hand would be negotiating some off the 12K.
If you want the same SQ for less, get some reds and remove the dustcap...

advertisement

Back