advertisement

Paint for covering cracks advice

Rodrat

pfm Member
As above really. Took off lining paper that was peeling and lots of small cracks and other defects found. I am not expecting a perfect finish but better than normal emulsion. Mixed reviews on polycell, dulux and other retail brands.

If you're attempting to paint over any kind of cracked plaster finish, you can be almost 100% sure that the cracks will reappear after a while. Unless you fill them with a filler first.

Personally, rather than use a ready mix product, I'd get some actual plaster (finishing plaster will be good enough if the cracks are fine and shallow) and use that. That way you can get the consistency "just right" in order to properly fill the crack to a decent depth. The Problem with most ready mix products is that they're on the thick side and have a tendency to be more tricky to get to key/bind in to the crack sufficiently.

What's the problem with just redoing the lining paper, using a suitably heavy paper? That'll work as a long term solution for minor cracking (you can fill the crack first too). It's no good for covering up actual level differences in the wall/ceiling though. Those would have to be resolved first.

Last edited:
As above really. Took off lining paper that was peeling and lots of small cracks and other defects found. I am not expecting a perfect finish but better than normal emulsion. Mixed reviews on polycell, dulux and other retail brands.
Not sure about elastic paints. I know there was one maybe by polycell for crack free ceilings and another made by bedec ( that might be for exterior use) but I've not used them.

You could do the following: if they are old cracks (no new ones being formed) then fill them with powdered filler such as one from toupret and sand down when dry.

Very narrow cracks might need enlarging to accept the filler. Go easy if you do this as before you know it you might make your job much bigger!

If you are going straight on with paint make sure you have removed traces of wallpaper paste. If you're not sure you can use a primer paint or something like zinsser gardź which is a bit like PVA and accepts paint

Maybe apply a coat of paint at this stage and see if things look promising in which case continue to paint.

If not and you are up to it, paste up lining paper and then paint.

Not quite an answer to your question but it's a solution!

I have filled all the larger cracks. I don't have the skills to use a plaster skim and I am pretty rubbish at wall papering. It s spare room so a bit of unevenness is ok.

I have filled all the larger cracks. I don't have the skills to use a plaster skim and I am pretty rubbish at wall papering. It s spare room so a bit of unevenness is ok.
Fair enough though you might be surprised at your papering skills.

Lining paper is a lot more forgiving than pattern matching fragile decorative paper.

It comes in two varieties- paste the paper and allow to soak for a few minutes or another type that allows you to paste the wall before sticking your prepared, unpasted paper to it.

Whilst paper is forgiving it can wrinkle and even crack if there is excessive movement underneath.

Sounds like you might need to rub down your filler ( wear a mask) and just make good as you say.

Might be worth looking at YouTube re dilute PVA to avoid the filler being dried too quickly. The Toupret stuff says not needed but I have doubts.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Toupret interior filler is excellent not cheap though!

It's good stuff across the range but it's still just powdered filler so no miracles on offer.

I switched from tetrion, which was just fine, a long time ago. I think mainly because of availability and probably brand loyalty from having successfully used various products from the range.

Some of the ready mixed lightweight fillers or elastic ones are pretty hopeless.

There is a ready mixed product that can produce a very good finish. I was sceptical at first, thinking it was a DIY gimmick, but it is excellent, albeit quite expensive:https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Pro-...qurU6GiOypHiqRfWSYRoCW7EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A word of warning - I Would only use this if you have access to a good sander with dust extraction as a first effort with trowel or filler knife is unlikely to be successful. However you can achieve a perfect finish as it feathers down to nothing, unlike powdered fillers.

I think there are other products that work the same way which I've not tried.

Wash down walls with sugar soap.
Remove any loose material from cracks.
Fill with Toupret Fine Filler, very easy to work with.
Sand, Protec 180 paper.
If the walls have never been painted it can be advantageous to add a little water to a 'primer' coat (cheap white emulsion will do fine) as the plaster may draw in some paint.
Paint with colour of choice.

If you want any other advice or recommendations please ask.

I’ve recently used the Polycell, cracks for ceilings which works well on hairline cracks but is very thick stuff to use but did the job. My favorite filler of my 9 weeks of decorating was Polycell advanced Polyfiller it weighs next to nothing and was so easy to use with no sanding afterwards. Used it on various sizes of cracks, just needs a little longer to dry but was so easy to use. I also used skimming plaster but gave up and used the Polycell. On cracks on walls I tend to enlarge them, fill them and then use watered down emulsion as the 1st coat. Hopefully I won’t see another paint brush for another 6 years.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A good painters tip if cracks are still showing after a coat of paint is to mix a hard stop i.e. polyfilla mixed part water and part the emulsion that you're using. The second coat should then cover it properly

Filling isn't an issue, I use Screwfix light weight filler, works well and very easy to sand. The walls are not bare plaster. Just a bit uneven in places where the skim has come off with fine cracks.

advertisement

Back