advertisement

Packing speakers

Vinny

pfm Member
Looking for some advice on shipping my Urei 809s.
I will have to make some timber crates, but do I ship them upright or on their backs?
The logical thing to do would be to have the front of the speakers at the top of the crate when packed, but so far as I recall, I have only ever seen speakers shipped the "right way up", no matter how awkward/unstable that makes the crate/package.

Thoughts/experience anyone?

I think that whichever way up you place them in their crates, unless you ship them on a palette, there is a good chance that they will wind up being placed on their sides or upside down at some point in their journey. Bear that in mind when constructing your crates and any liners.

Which way up is irrelevant as the courier is bound to kick them down a flight of stairs anyway.

must say i was very relieved when my eatons arrived from europe on a pallet , the right way up and in perfect condition . thankyou dhl . i am still trying to figure out why they are made in scotland then shipped to europe and then back to uk !!!

anyway i would just make sure they are double boxed at least

They are going in 9mm ply boxes, the ply screwed to 1 inch batten frames. The speakers themselves will be poly-bagged and surrounded by inch thick polystyrene foam with card between the speaker and foam to reduce the possibility of the speaker digging into the foam at the corners/edges if they are dropped or whatever, and then be able to "rattle around". All that will be a slide fit in the boxes. Because of the horns, there will be padded spacers inside the box so that the horns cannot hit the ply, (almost) no matter what.
I am unsure if a pallet would increase carriage, but the buyer is paying the cost of materials for the boxes and carriage, which comes to £200. If it doesn't increase charges and I can find a pallet of about the right dimensions in the skip at work...……………………..

I'll take photo's as they are packed and they will be insured.

Eatons - European distribution centre - you have to understand logistics, like so many things in life, a very under-rated discipline.

advertisement

Back