advertisement

Pacific Ocean Blue

A fine, fine record. I have an old copy of this piece of Beach Boys apocrypha - Denny was cool.

The CD came yesterday and vinyl is also pre-ordered, a bit sad I know..
Only had a chance to listen to it before work last night but first impression was "Thats pretty good!", need to play it some more to get to grips with it fully.
Don't know why, but one of the songs had a vaguely late Floydish feel to my ears aside from obvious kinship to The B.B's. It also minded me of the kind of vibe people like Jason Pierce used to be aiming for, you get the sense of the spiritual.
The music and songs are of such a standard that deserve to be heard widely- always wanted a copy but winced at the inflated prices being asked for o.c's and have never got on with file-shares and what-not so am really pleased it has finally been revived after such a long wait.
Need to get the 2nd CD on later for a listen.
The packaging btw is nice card with fold out panels and informative notes galore.

If you read the article in the link, Richard Williams offers "Only With You" from Holland as perhaps the most affecting love song in Rock. Anyone agree ? My vote would be for "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)" from Pet Sounds. What's your's ?

It's a wonderful re-issue - the second CD of the unissued follow-up, Bambu, is very good too and has some beautiful songs on it even if it isn't quite as good as POB.

BTW, was surprised to find JJ played on both. Didn't notice it at the time.

If you read the article in the link, Richard Williams offers "Only With You" from Holland as perhaps the most affecting love song in Rock. Anyone agree ? My vote would be for "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)" from Pet Sounds. What's your's ?

It depends on the day and time... but I'd take Don't Talk as the one any day! God, what a great song...

Both extremely fine songs - I really like the Norman Blake cover of 'Only With You' on the 'Caroline Now' covers comp as well.

The recent re-release prompted me to get out my old bootleg copy for a spin. I remember being pretty underwhelmed the first time round and it hasn't got any better to my ears.
It just doesn't work for me, I really can't see where all the acclaim comes from. I just find it plodding, dull and very average. I thought it was one of those albums whose reputation was influenced by its rarity. Still, some of you clearly think otherwise, my loss I guess.

No sorry, after many attempts I think the music is rubbish and I do not understand why it was genius or anything else. I even forced my way through half of the film before falling asleep.

I understand it memorable music, such as ABBA, and as a result it gets played on commercial radio quite a lot. If this is what defines it as genius then fair enough.

advertisement

Back