advertisement

Outlook Express 'Hotmail' acting strangely?

Isobarik

pfm Member
Not long logged on to my Hotmail account and some but not all of my Emails have disappeared.
The Emails I can still read are all over the place, no order at all, dates all mixed up.
What a mess!
Any idea what has caused this? or is it just because it's Microsoft?
Anyone else had the same problem?

Nothing is “just because it‘s Microsoft”.

Hotmail accounts and Outlook Express are now so old that neither are supported by MS so there will be limited help available there and more issues will occur. This sort of thing is why I’ve finally surrendered my Hotmail account and moved to Outlook, which was relatively painless.

Sounds like a corrupted account profile. Easy to fix in Outlook. Can’t remember if the same option is available in Hotmail.

Nothing is “just because it‘s Microsoft”.

Hotmail accounts and Outlook Express are now so old that neither are supported by MS so there will be limited help available there and more issues will occur. This sort of thing is why I’ve finally surrendered my Hotmail account and moved to Outlook, which was relatively painless.

Sounds like a corrupted account profile. Easy to fix in Outlook. Can’t remember if the same option is available in Hotmail.
Thanks for the info, time for me to change to Outlook, me thinks.

Or try an alternative email client such as eM Client

The free version is limited to two email accounts, but it's simple and uncluttered (same can't be said of ThunderBird these days IMO, hence I'd not go back to it now).

You can even change the colour scheme/theme if you feel that way inclined.

I started using it after "windows mail" started shouting at me to migrate to outlook, which requires cloud sync which I have strong objections to.

Or try an alternative email client such as eM Client

The free version is limited to two email accounts, but it's simple and uncluttered (same can't be said of ThunderBird these days IMO, hence I'd not go back to it now).

You can even change the colour scheme/theme if you feel that way inclined.

I started using it after "windows mail" started shouting at me to migrate to outlook, which requires cloud sync which I have strong objections to.
Just downloaded it, I'll install it tomorrow.
Thanks for the link.

Why an e-mail client ?
Because you can manage several different emails accounts and domains from one place. You can also archive emails for long term storage on your client device, without worrying about online data limits that are typical with free accounts. You still get the flexibility of using IMAP so you can still see all emails you receive or send if you need access to your webmail accounts on other devices.

Because you can manage several different emails accounts and domains from one place. You can also archive emails for long term storage on your client device, without worrying about online data limits that are typical with free accounts. You still get the flexibility of using IMAP so you can still see all emails you receive or send if you need access to your webmail accounts on other devices.

Thanks, I've always wondered why people bothered.

Create additional local profiles in your Google Chrome, and to me it looks like you will have the same thing. I use Gmail which has more or less no limits, but it might not be your cup of tea. Old e-mails can of course be read on all your PC's and phones forever.

Long ago I used to store e-mails locally, first from Outlook Express and then Outlook. After a few years it turned out to be so much of a hassle finding old things that nowadays I wouldn't be comfortable with storing old messages and hoping to be able to read them decades later.

Which os are you using? There’s a new outlook client free in Windows 11 which is pretty good, you can use your hotmail account natively in it.

advertisement

Back