advertisement

Other people's driving

I hope that some of you can take some time to ask yourselves if your attitude needs some adjustment in these more modern times.

look in the mirror geezer

You do not have the right to judge someone as racist when there is no evidence that they are being.

actually we do and the evidence is the odd retort you make about dress and your guess as to their religious association

but you didn't though, their dress and your estimation of their religious association was irrelevant

In the light of their very high level of cleanliness and their almost identical dress I thought it something like a 75% chance that they were Brahmins.

I think that the top level of the Hindu religion has an idea of ritual cleanliness and I think they apply that to everything they do. Thus they could well, say a 40% chance, have decided as part of avoiding defilement, that the inside lane is religiously unclean.

I was not sure, which is why I asked for people's help.

say a 40% chance, have decided as part of avoiding defilement, that the inside lane is religiously unclean.

you are really making it up

I spent over a decade working in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh - and many Brahmins amongst others stank unwashed and of BO as the rest....

I once came across a car cruising along in the middle lane on a completely empty M62 one evening. The 5 occupants were all immaculately dressed in gleaming white robes with the same headdress, all staring straight ahead.

This made me wonder if they were all Brahmins i.e. the top caste of the Hindu religion. They might have all been priests. I don't know anything about Hinduism, but I think I'm right to say that Brahmins pursue ritual cleanliness as part of their beliefs.

I wonder if that religion (and maybe others too with the same idea) have decided that the inside lane is unclean in their eyes. It is the lane for all the dirty lorries etc.

Can anyone confirm this?

i had a similar experience on the A14 where they were all dressed as policemen; luckily it was beneath them to do the full traffic cop thing.

In the light of their very high level of cleanliness and their almost identical dress I thought it something like a 75% chance that they were Brahmins.

I think that the top level of the Hindu religion has an idea of ritual cleanliness and I think they apply that to everything they do. Thus they could well, say a 40% chance, have decided as part of avoiding defilement, that the inside lane is religiously unclean.

I was not sure, which is why I asked for people's help.
I just think it’s a really weird thing to speculate: that somebody might eschew the left lane as unclean. It’s why I asked what I asked. I don’t think you are a racist, but I do think it suggested some odd ideas about people who are different to your own circle.

Also, you had some pretty impressive levels of observational detail from a simple overtake on the motorway - Sherlock Holmes would be proud! Most people would barely register the number of occupants, you noticed that a wool jacket was bobble free!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-66053510
I found this interesting. As an instructor, I had one older driver who was told by magistrate to take another test before driving again. After a couple of lessons he gave up, after turning right at the end of his own road and nearly going over the kerb on the right! Another older lady took some lessons after her husband died (he did all the driving) and she was OK. Everyone is different.
The worst one I had was a young woman with tunnel vision and very dark glasses due to over sensitivity. After she tried to drive down the wrong lane onto a dual carriageway, I suggested she needed an eye test. She left me in a huff.
But the thing that got me, was when I reported it to the DVLA, they weren't interested, and said I should call the police if I thought she was dangerous! The current testing system is inadequate and underfunded, and politicians are scared of losing votes, so nothing changes.

The worst one I had was a young woman with tunnel vision and very dark glasses due to over sensitivity. After she tried to drive down the wrong lane onto a dual carriageway, I suggested she needed an eye test. She left me in a huff.
But the thing that got me, was when I reported it to the DVLA, they weren't interested, and said I should call the police if I thought she was dangerous! The current testing system is inadequate and underfunded, and politicians are scared of losing votes, so nothing changes.

I nearly got taken out by an older gentleman who pulled out of his driveway very close to my car. Turned out he was driving to a nearby pub so I pulled in behind him to discuss him nearly ramming me, to have him tell me he couldn't see very well due to his cataracts. I reported it to the police as I thought there was a fair chance he could hurt someone if he continued driving, but he said there was nothing he or the family could do (there had been other incidents and his family didn't want him driving either) as his doctor didn't want to declare him unfit to drive as he'd lose his independence.

I nearly got taken out by an older gentleman who pulled out of his driveway very close to my car. Turned out he was driving to a nearby pub so I pulled in behind him to discuss him nearly ramming me, to have him tell me he couldn't see very well due to his cataracts. I reported it to the police as I thought there was a fair chance he could hurt someone if he continued driving, but he said there was nothing he or the family could do (there had been other incidents and his family didn't want him driving either) as his doctor didn't want to declare him unfit to drive as he'd lose his independence.
My dad's doctor called me when dad, a retired driving examiner, was 92, to tell me that he felt that dad should not be driving. Despite my urging him the doctor was reluctant to report him to the DVLA.
I finally persuaded dad not to drive by telling him that the local press would have a field day if they found out that a former driving examiner had had an accident.

I just think it’s a really weird thing to speculate: that somebody might eschew the left lane as unclean. It’s why I asked what I asked. I don’t think you are a racist, but I do think it suggested some odd ideas about people who are different to your own circle.

Also, you had some pretty impressive levels of observational detail from a simple overtake on the motorway - Sherlock Holmes would be proud! Most people would barely register the number of occupants, you noticed that a wool jacket was bobble free!
Is it really that weird? When I am driving I look at all sorts of things, just part of being observant. And on long boring journeys such things keep me occupied (I gain or lose points by overtaking/being overtaken by Audis). And if I was slowly overtaking a car I might well have time to notice fine details.
Certainly an unusual question, but not that odd, IMO. And brave of him to actually ask, knowing how some people on here would react.

Couldn't his doctor have referred the man for cataract treatment? If the man had an accident the doctor should have had some liability.

After RLE i can see better than i ever have, 6/6 in both eyes.

Is it really that weird? When I am driving I look at all sorts of things, just part of being observant. And on long boring journeys such things keep me occupied (I gain or lose points by overtaking/being overtaken by Audis). And if I was slowly overtaking a car I might well have time to notice fine details.
Certainly an unusual question, but not that odd, IMO. And brave of him to actually ask, knowing how some people on here would react.
Thanks for the perspective. It did feel weird to me, but maybe it didn't to others. And yes, we need to have some sense of moderation when responding to questions which might feel a little unsavoury but are actually just genuine enquiry. Maybe some of us (and I include myself) can sometimes infer too much from how a question is couched.

advertisement

Back