advertisement

Other people's driving

Just ordered the Up in Smoke DVD. I forgot how much I like them.
All the smoke coming out of the car reminded me of the van we had in the 70s, it used to look like that sometimes. :D

I once came across a car cruising along in the middle lane on a completely empty M62 one evening. The 5 occupants were all immaculately dressed in gleaming white robes with the same headdress, all staring straight ahead.

This made me wonder if they were all Brahmins i.e. the top caste of the Hindu religion. They might have all been priests. I don't know anything about Hinduism, but I think I'm right to say that Brahmins pursue ritual cleanliness as part of their beliefs.

I wonder if that religion (and maybe others too with the same idea) have decided that the inside lane is unclean in their eyes. It is the lane for all the dirty lorries etc.

Can anyone confirm this?

I once came across a car cruising along in the middle lane on a completely empty M62 one evening. The 5 occupants were all immaculately dressed in gleaming white robes with the same headdress, all staring straight ahead.

This made me wonder if they were all Brahmins i.e. the top caste of the Hindu religion. They might have all been priests. I don't know anything about Hinduism, but I think I'm right to say that Brahmins pursue ritual cleanliness as part of their beliefs.

I wonder if that religion (and maybe others too with the same idea) have decided that the inside lane is unclean in their eyes. It is the lane for all the dirty lorries etc.

Can anyone confirm this?

Or perhaps the driver is as unaware of the requirements as all the other middle lane hoggers?

You’ve made the first connection between religion and driving that I’ve heard since I worked with a bunch of racist bigots in Saudi in the 90s.

Or perhaps the driver is as unaware of the requirements as all the other middle lane hoggers?

You’ve made the first connection between religion and driving that I’ve heard since I worked with a bunch of racist bigots in Saudi in the 90s.

Did I mention the colour of the skin of the people in the car? No.
Did I say anything about their facial appearance? No.

Why didn't I? Because it's completely irrelevant to my story. It is you that has made that connection in a rather backhanded fashion.

I think you need to be a lot more careful before you pull the racist trigger.

For me, a non-racist society would be one where the colour of a person's skin is completely irrelevant. I should therefore be able to point out the foibles of any religion without that being automatically connected to racism.

I feel very strongly about this. If I am judged by this forum to have been racist then, I'm sorry, but I'm leaving.

This made me wonder if they were all Brahmins i.e. the top caste of the Hindu religion. They might have all been priests. I don't know anything about Hinduism
What made you wonder if they were all Brahmins, given you don’t know anything about Hinduism? And how does driving in the middle lane feature in your thoughts here?

What made you wonder if they were all Brahmins, given you don’t know anything about Hinduism? And how does driving in the middle lane feature in your thoughts here?

it is an interesting question why the attire or estimated religion feature here.

I wonder what the poster would say with me hogging the outside lane driving in my birthday suit, wearing a fez on my head

I do know odd unconnected things about Hinduism that I've picked up from doing a bit of research for my job, which involved some off-shoring. I don't truly know anything as I've not made any sort of sustained research into it or talked to a Hindu about it, it's all just hearsay.

However, I did do a bit of research into the caste system to look into how it works and what relevance it has to people from India today. As part of that I read that the top Brahmin caste, which Hindu priests belong to, are very very particular about their personal hygiene and appearance, I presume so that they increase their dedication to their God. They have a belief that they should avoid defilement by being as clean as possible so that they can worship their God better.

The people in that car were absolutely immaculate in their dress. Their clothes had the look of being well worn but at the same time very clean. One of them was wearing a sort of tweedy looking sleeveless jacket, probably made from wool, and yet there wasn't a single bobble on it.

The rest of their clothes were probably cotton, pure white, and again had no imperfections.

They all wore a curious headdress that I don't know the name of. It was bigger than a skullcap but had a vertical brim with a squashy sort of center, again made of pure white cotton with no imperfections of any kind, no loose threads or anything.

They were also almost immobile, not talking to each other with their minds on other things.

Based on that and the very little I had learned I speculated that they were Hindu priests, although they could have been going to a fancy dress party, I obviously have no idea as I was only driving past them.

I am now further speculating that a religion that believes in avoiding uncleanliness wherever it might happen could have decided that the inside lane is unclean and to be avoided. It is where the big trucks and coaches with their diesel engines belch out black smoke on a regular basis.

Just to ram home the point, this is purely speculation on my part. I was asking the forum if there are any Hindu members and if they could comment on this for me, I would be interested to find out.

I am NOT saying 'ooh look a the funny Hindus, don't know the law of the land, let's throw them out'. I am genuinely curious about their religion as my own religious education back at school was so shockingly bad. I am trying to learn so that I've got more chance of avoiding inadvertently insulting Hindus.

After all, all those guys were doing was driving in the middle lane when the inside lane was empty. Hardly endangering anyone, just a very slight, very brief inconvenience to overtake them.

This is where I find it very difficult to write on this forum because my tone of voice and my facial expression are both obviously absent yet, despite being as careful with my words as I can, I often don't convey what I actually mean.

it is an interesting question why the attire or estimated religion feature here.

I wonder what the poster would say with me hogging the outside lane driving in my birthday suit, wearing a fez on my head

I would question your possible level of inebriation but, if you weren't also driving erratically, I would pass by as it is a free country and your willy is presumably not actually visible.

If I was a traffic cop, I would pull you over and give you a breath test :)

Yesterday I started a thread about full size garden scythes, little expecting to get any replies, but I got plenty of useful information.

It was my intention to indirectly ask the forum, whose depth and breadth of knowledge is gobsmacking at times, if my suspicion about the guys in that car might have some sort of basis in truth, although I obviously didn't spell it out enough that that is what I was doing.

I was fully aware that in the past the Hindu religion has been associated with the race issue by default. That is why I chose my words very carefully to avoid giving any indication of the colour of the skin of the guys in the car as it is completely irrelevant, as always.

I use a lot of taxis which, post Brexit, seem to be driven by people who are from either India or Pakistan to make money in this country, and good luck to them, they've all been ordinary people, some nice and some quiet and grumpy. That's fine.

Some of them are Christian and carry crosses and rosary beads in the cab. The colour of their skin and their religion are not connected.

I hope that some of you can take some time to ask yourselves if your attitude needs some adjustment in these more modern times.

From some people's responses today I would judge that some people have too much of a knee jerk reaction. I would suggest that you take more time to think about what someone has and hasn't said.

You do not have the right to judge someone as racist when there is no evidence that they are being. That to my mind is perpetuating the problem.

advertisement

Back