advertisement

ortofon t2000 mc phono amp solid silver???

kpasa

pfm Member
could someone confirm if there really is 2 kilograms of silver in the ortofon t2000 mc phono amplifier please. thanks

Yes, I believe you will find that the T2000 is a transformer, not an amp. I would be very surprised if the whole thing weighed more than half a Kilo, let alone 2 !!!

apparently the whole thing weighs 3.5 KG.and was designed largely with the ortofon mc2000 cartridge in mind which was an exceptionally low output device.yes it is a step up transformer my mistake thanks for the correction.still the question stands would anyone make a device like this with so much silver in it?

I remember mc2000/t2000 being from the early 1980's. There where a boom in silver cables at that time just as there where a boom in silver prices. Some even sold silver cables as an alleged investment! Of, course, then silver prices dropped back...

So, it could very well be silver in the transformer wires. But most probably not 2 kg of it. There aren't that much wire in an mc transformer, even if it where made of gold or depleted uranium!

JohanR

apparently the whole thing weighs 3.5 KG.and was designed largely with the ortofon mc2000 cartridge in mind which was an exceptionally low output device.yes it is a step up transformer my mistake thanks for the correction.still the question stands would anyone make a device like this with so much silver in it?

The T2000 we had during the 80's cost way less than £1K (can't remember exactly) and was a small ali box weighing (maybe) half a Kilo. What is this one all about ?:confused:

actually i think it is a scam. someone on ebay trying to sell one and claiming that there is 2kg of silver in it at current prices it would be worth buying and then selling the silver for a handsome profit. fishy very fishy.

advertisement

Back