advertisement

Ortofon SL15 ELL

33.3rpm

pfm Member
I purchased a Garrard 401/SME 3009 (non-improved) this weekend and came with a boxed Ortofon SL15 ELL cartridge (with all papers and original sales receipt from 1976!). Does anyone know about this cartridge? I think it is an MC cart but is high output so can be used in a MM preamp. Is that correct?

Also, I would like to purchase an SPU head shell to fit to my 301/SME. Would it be possible to use this cartridge in an SPU headshell?

See http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/22/06/2010/a-short-history-of-ortofon-pick-up-cartridges/

Looks like it is only relatively higher output, 125uV, so way off usable into a MM input. Would need transformer or MC input.

My understanding is that SPU cartridges have an integrated headshell, with a bayonet fitting that works in a SME arm. So I don't think you buy an SPU headshell as such. Ortofon made various headshells over the years for use with their cartridges, and one of those could work with SL15. It is medium high compliance, so doesn't want anything really heavy.

you will need a SUT or headamp, its a low output MC

if it hasnt been used for such a long time, be carefull when dropping the needle on the record. suspension rubber may be useless so the cartridge would need servicing.

Thanks for the tips. So SPU is integrated, bit like a Decca ffss? Any idea on likely cost to service this SL cartridge and would it be worth it?

I borrowed one of these off a friend once. It was great on classical, but not good with rock music. Sometimes you read about components that are biased one way or the other rather than being balanced. This was the most extreme example I ever experienced of it. Suggest you buy a cheap headshell and see what you think.

I purchased a Garrard 401/SME 3009 (non-improved) this weekend and came with a boxed Ortofon SL15 ELL cartridge (with all papers and original sales receipt from 1976!). Does anyone know about this cartridge? I think it is an MC cart but is high output so can be used in a MM preamp. Is that correct?

Also, I would like to purchase an SPU head shell to fit to my 301/SME. Would it be possible to use this cartridge in an SPU headshell?
Would you be willing to share a picture of the paperwork?? I have one of these cartridges as well and I'd like to see an original source for the data!

"It is medium high compliance, so doesn't want anything really heavy."
I've seen others say this, but I wonder if it is really true. The standard SL-15 has static compliance of 20x10-6, which means the dynamic compliance is 10, which is low compliance! If OP can share a picture of the original paperwork for the ELL model, we can find out if it has the same measurements

"So SPU is integrated, bit like a Decca ffss? Any idea on likely cost to service this SL cartridge and would it be worth it?"
You may already be aware but the SL15 is a souped-up SPU - there is a great thread on Audiogon about this that you can google for. Since I'm a new member here on pink fish it won't let me post the link

I have a SL15ELL, which I got checked and retyped by ESCo. The generator is a variation of the SPU. The original SL15 was high compliance and unsuited to most modern medium mass tonearms. The SL15ELL had a lower compliance and is more suited to a modern arm. The SL15ELL has a typical SPU sound. I like it.

So if I purchase an SPU headshell could I mount and use this cartridge (if I use an MC preamp)? I don’t know what a typical SPU sound is.

Would you be willing to share a picture of the paperwork?? I have one of these cartridges as well and I'd like to see an original source for the data!
I have looked through the paperwork and it has original sale invoice (actually 1971) and 2 Ortofon branded guarantee slips but no spec sheet, sorry.

So if I purchase an SPU headshell could I mount and use this cartridge (if I use an MC preamp)? I don’t know what a typical SPU sound is.
The earliest SME headshells were essentially the Ortofon SPU-G with embedded nuts at 1/2" centres.

From 'SME Models 3009 & 3012 Precision Pick-up Arms Instructions for Use':

Fitting a Cartridge​
The S.M.E. shell is suitable for all standard phono cartridges. Screws​
and pillars at 1/2in. spacing permit direct mounting or use of a bracket​
when required.​
Use Without a Shell​
Certain heads, Ortofon, E.S.L., Neumann, etc., can be plugged​
directly into the arm socket in place of the S.M.E. shell.​
An adaptor, type D.2 allows direct mounting and interchange​
of Decca heads.​

Ortofon made SME Series 1 headshell (also sold as Shure/SME in North America):
Ortofon-SME-headshell.jpg

Here is the 'Mounting Instructions for Ortofon SL-15 Cartridge' which includes the specifications. Presumably, all but the SL-15ELL higher output voltage of 0.125mV and output impedance of 6Ohm are the same, possibly a half a gram heavier too.
Ortofon-SL15-pg1.png

Ortofon-SL15-pg2.png

Last edited:
If I were in your situation, I would send the cartridge to Joseph Long, AKA groovetickler, to have it evaluated. He can repair the suspension, should it prove necessary.

This is the same documentation I have seen as well. This says that static compliance on the SL15 is 20, which means dynamic compliance is 50% of that number (10) which would suggest this is a LOW compliance cartridge, not high.

That is why I want to see the documentation for the ELL version because everyone seems to claim it is a high compliance cartridge but I can't find any original source evidence that proves it.

advertisement

Back