advertisement

Ortofon OM10 vs OM20 stylus?

MEMF1980

pfm Member
Hi all,

I've been using Ortofon OM10's for the last few yars and I really like the sound (and price) and think it is a bargin at around £45. As ever upgrade-itus has struck and I am wondering how the OM20 compares, especially as I can change the stylus and not the whoe cartridge.

I've heard some say it is only a modest upgrade whilst others say it is 'night and day' ... and at around £135 it is quite a bit more expensive. If only there were more opertunites to compare stylus/carts like there is speakers etc!

I was wondering if any of you have been able to compare the 2 and what you thought.

Cheers

It might be night and day because you compare an new and better stylus with a probably worn stylus at a lower price point. I did the jump from OM30 to OM40 and the treble moved into MC territory. I'd say you will notice an improvement, yes, but check the alignment thoroughly.

I've had numerous decks come through here with OM10 on, and a couple with OM20. The latter does sound more refined, likely down to it having a nude tip, albeit one with the same stylus profile as the bonded ellipticals (r/R 8/18um i.e. 0.3 x 0.7mil). Regardless, for the £135 Stylus 20 entry fee the phono cartridge competition has really hotted up in the form of the audio-technica AT-VM95ML (£154.99), a cartridge that should give OM40 (Stylus 40 @ £379) a good run at less than half the price.

I went from an om10 to om20. Yes, appreciably better and more refined, a fuller sound. £135 better? That’s for you to decide.

advertisement

Back