advertisement

Ortofon cartridges

koi

pfm Member
While at the show today quite a few of the exhibitors were useing ortofon cartridges,

I was quite supprised how good they sounded,not often mentioned or as popular as lyras and dynavectors are around here!

Been using them for years. Currently have the Rohmann but previous carts have been the Kontrapunkt B and MC30.

Ive owned 3 MC10 Super, MC25FL and presently Kontrapunkt B I realy like Ortofons and they track realy well :)

Alan

MC Nr2 and 25FL were the biggest audio mistakes I ever made. Kontrapunkt B was the highest I tried, much better but lifeless on Rock & Indie. Excellent for Jazz & Soul though. Since I wanted one cart for all genres, I switched and never looked back at Ortofon.

I'm using a Cadenza Blue at the moment, and a Kontrapunkt B before that - really happy with both.

MC Nr2 and 25FL were the biggest audio mistakes I ever made. Kontrapunkt B was the highest I tried, much better but lifeless on Rock & Indie. Excellent for Jazz & Soul though. Since I wanted one cart for all genres, I switched and never looked back at Ortofon.

What do you use now?

Ortofon are a super company to deal with, their cartridges are excellent performers and, excepting the MC Anna, are realistically priced.

I've used an MC2000, MC3000, a loaned MC5000, the MC7500, 2 Rohmanns, an MC Windfeld and presently an MC A90. Not a single issue to date, all have operated flawlessly.

The only upper level cartridges I haven't had experience with are the Anna, Jubilee, Kontrapunkts and the Valencia and Vienna range.

Some may find them dark tonally, despite the fact that they're often written about in terms of neutrality the Ortofon has a much less prominent character or colouration than many other transducers. Careful matching can offset this.
They do not appear to be fussy either.

The midrange is the thing, searching for low register enhancement or a sweeter high frequency look elsewhere - the Ortofon is beautifully balanced, tracks wonderfully and never fatigues in presentation.

it really depends on taste. Ortofon make excellent cartridges, and tend to be fair value (in cartridge world anyway). It's a matter of taste after that. The problem is that you can't hear these cartridges in demos very easily, or in your own system. So you end up rather like a diner trying to judge meals he has never tasted. I don't think anyone has the answer to this dilemma, or if they have, i'd like to hear it..

I use a Cadenza Blue, It replaced an Akiva which says a lot. They have let the brand get a bit 'pipe and slippers'. Dynavector and Lyra are much cooler brands by comparison.

I have a cadenza blue that a friend gave to me!!! I got a complete system for him but he didn't want the deck so he gave me the cart in exchange for a linn klyde as a thankyou for getting the system.

It will replace my akiva when the akiva wears out, I love ortofon carts, they know what they are doing.

The Rohmann was the best cart I ever used. Much better than the Lyra Dorian I now use (I should learn not to move around…and invariably down).

I am very disappointed with Ortofon as a company. My 10 month old Cadenza Bronze failed catastrophically (the stylus fell off the cantilever). Ortofon's warranty response was that the cantilever & pool piece were badly corroded leading to the failure, and the corrosion must have been from me using a solvent cleaner.
Since I have never used a solvent cleaner on any cartridge, and the cart only had 10 months light use, I countered that the cart's protective coating must have been inadequately applied.
Neither Ortofon nor their Australian distributor Speakerbits would enter into any further discussion, would not return the cart for independent assessment, and despite a successful small claims action by me, are yet to replace the cartridge.
Oh, and Speakerbits took months and many phone calls by me to even send the cart for assessment.

So, Whilst I was happy with the cart's performance when it worked, Ortofon's 2 yr warranty is worthless, and I could not recommend them to anyone.

It's clear you appear to have had a raw deal in this instance, but this isn't indicative of Ortofon - from a UK standpoint.

advertisement

Back