advertisement

Ortofon AS-309S 12" Tonearm Repair

kevin-h

So my Thorens 124 deck has been in storage after travelling around the world with me.
In transit the Ortofon AS-309S tonearm has been damaged, the arm tube appears snapped behind the central pillar where the back part with the counter weight enters the pillar.
Does anyone know of any UK based repairer and have an idea of repair costs?
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I'd suggest your first line of action would be to contact ortofon directly to see if they can repair it since it's still a current item.

From pics on the web it looks as though the arm wand and the stub for the weight probably aren't one continuous section so there possibly is hope for it.

No and no.
I'd guess Ortofon would be the first people I would try, in failing that you could look for another or parts on Ebay, if you can't find the parts required perhaps Steve at Magna Audio could machine new parts (assuming they're machined material)

If still a current model as suggested then Ortofon should be able to repair or supply the parts.

As these were made for Ortofon by Jelco, I doubt that Ortofon stock replacement parts, other than perhaps the optional Type D heavier counterweight.

There may be a simple fix though. The Jelco end stubs are fit over a rubber boss that is screw fit into the back of the bearing housing/arm carrier. There is both a locating tab beneath and contact adhesive holding the end stub firmly aligned and flush to the flange of the rubber boss. Should both the end stub and rubber boss be intact, it may be a simple matter of using a tiny bead of contact adhesive round the rubber boss (just aft of the rubber flange that goes up against the back of the arm carrier) and pushing the end stub back on. If the rubber boss has broken free of the arm carrier then it is possible that the screw that fastens this in has sheared off and needs replacing.

Here are disassembly instructions from aftermarket end stub and weight parts supplier Expressimo Audio (another possible solution).

1. Twist the stock plastic end stub gently, it should break the contact cement bond.
2. Push locating tab in and pull the end stub back away from the arm.
3. Turn arm upside down and loosen 1.5mm set screw 2 or 3 turns.
4. Unscrew silver screw to remove rubber boss.
Sets.jpg

Jelco-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all, already some useful information.
I was planning to contact Ortofon but was hoping someone here may have had experience and been able to recommend a UK based repairer.
I guess it comes down to cost, if it's worth keeping or just replacing.
Craig B, your post gives me some hope. Rather than poke about myself I will let a responsible adult look into that!

If you are up for inspecting this further yourself, you could try removing the counterweight and then twist/rotate the end stub to and fro enough to break the cement bond, after which it should slide off if you push the locating tab/pip in from below (see picture below).

Post removal of the end stub, you'll be better able to inspect the inner rubber damping boss alignment and mounting integrity via prodding it with a finger.

It is also possible that the cement bond has already broken and the locating pip is what is keeping it from falling off.

i.jpg

advertisement

Back