advertisement

Ortofon 530

rhgbristol

pfm Member
Does anyone here have any views on the Ortofon 530 cartridge, as there is very little info on the net.

From what I can make out, it's a moving magnet cartridge, that was quite well thought of, made in the early 1980s?

How does it compare to modern offerings, and what price range / production dates did it fall in?

Thanks in anticipation of the expert knowledge lurking herewith!

Hi rhgbristol:

Goto http://ortofon.com/hifi/products/historical-products/ortofon-series-500-moving-magnets and all will be revealed…. (and yes the 500 series are Moving Magnets).

As for the performance, in my experience I’m yet to hear a dud Ortofon cartridge. Their entire product range is well engineered and performs consistently. At the time I think the 300 series was the basic entry level and the 500 series were the next level up. On the other hand I don’t remember the 500 series as being Ortofon’s stand out product, but that’s not to say that they were bad and should be avoided.

The good news is that new stylus assemblies are still listed on the Ortofon website for the entire 500 series range, so if you like the cartridge and it works for you then there’s still some life in the old girl yet.

LPSpinner.

The forerunner to the 2M range. Ive got a 540/II on one of my decks and it's very good indeed, though does fall a little short of the 2M Black that repaced it. These Ortofons are all high compliance, so don't stick them in too heavy a tonearm, and they don't like to see too much capacitance, so keep the total (phono stage and arm cable) to less than 300pf. When working properly expect a nice clean, clear and powerful sound with superb tracking/tracing right to end of side. They have very good tips. I assume the 530 is pretty much around the 2M Bronze level, maybe somewhere between a Blue and Bronze.

Hi Guys;

The forerunner to the 2M range. Ive got a 540/II on one of my decks and it's very good indeed, though does fall a little short of the 2M Black that repaced it…
Yes all this is very true: With Ortofon it usually seems to be a case of evolutionary rather than revolutionary product development. I’m not surprised that TonyL likes the 540 Ortofon but admits that the 2M black is a better.
…These Ortofons are all high compliance, so don't stick them in too heavy a tonearm…
At the time the 500 series were developed low mass arms and featherweight tracking forces were more common, although with a recommended tracking force 1.5 grams it’s not totally unusable.
…I assume the 530 is pretty much around the 2M Bronze level, maybe somewhere between a Blue and Bronze…
Looking at the product literature it does indeed appear that way. The 530 gets a fine line stylus as does the 2M Bronze. The 540 gets a Fritz Gyger II stylus profile while the 2M bronze gets a Shibata, both very advanced stylus shapes and somewhat comparable in terms of tracking ability and absence form inner groove distortion issues.

If you already have a 530 or can get one at a very attractive price than you are good to go. But if you are looking for a first class Moving Magnet I can personally recommend either the 2M Bronze or Black. Like I said earlier, I am yet to here a bad Ortofon cartridge (age and condition of cartridge taken into account).

LPSpinner.

I had a 540, same body, but with Geiger stylus. Excellent cartridge but went over to its MC equivalent (same stylus I believe) the X5-MC which bettered it considerably even on my MM friendly Hadcock arm.

advertisement

Back