advertisement

Ornette Coleman: the Atlantic Years vinyl box set

I've got Beauty Is A Rare Thing and will definitely check out this vinyl box set. The price in America is $174.98, which is fine for 10 albums and a booklet with new liner notes and not often seen photographs.

Will be interesting to see how much it is sold for in the UK. Wouldn't surprise me if it goes out at £1 a $1. Either way it's fantastic music.

Jack

But will they be AAA pressings? I doubt it personally. Most of these companies will just release CD rips on vinyl so one might as well buy the CD box. Will keep an eye on Michael Fremer's website as well as Steve Hoffman's...

[EDIT] In fact, I've just e-mailed them to ask. We'll see whether they reply.

Seconded. Looks promising, and I like the albums to be individual titles. One thing that frustrates me with the Beauty CD box set is the track sequencing, I get easily disorientated as I am used to hearing the original running order. Hopefully they will be nicely mastered and cut. Could be a winner.

I doubt very much these records are made from the original masters. I seem to recall that the mastertapes were destroyed in the 'great' fire along with other Atlantic recordings.

The provenance therefore is suspect unless they have managed to locate 2nd generation masters or something similar.

advertisement

Back