advertisement

Original UK release date for Obscure 1 - Sinking of the Titanic?

Philippe

pfm Member
Does anyone know the exact date that the Gavin Bryars album Sinking of the Titantic was released in the UK? It was the first release on Brian Eno's new Obscure record label with the catalogue number Obscure 1. The record itself says that it was published in 1975 but I can't find the actual date anywhere, though I think it was maybe sometime in November or perhaps December.

I'm after this information to pin down the exact date that I first met my late wife.

I bought the record on the day it came out after hearing John Peel play the title piece on his radio show. I then met my future wife on the Friday evening of that week. Whilst chatting her up all evening I ranted on about this fantastic record I had just bought. I then lent her the album, much to the amazement of my friends as I had never lent any of my precious records to anyone before that.

She preferred the piece on the B side, Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet.

We married a year later.

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Can’t be of too much help, but I liked your post and story. Great LP too. Tom Waits also preferred Side 2.

You may be interested in this, a letter from Obscure to David Toop apologising for the editing error on the first pressing of his record which was one of the first schedule of Obscure titles. It is dated December 1st 1975, although many believe the first batch hit the shops in the last week of November 1975, and the letter is apologising for something that had already taken place.

https://m.imgur.com/mf4bG

Let us know if you find an exact date. I didn’t buy mine until summer 1976, and the Jan Steele/John Cage title remains a personal favourite. Good luck.

I am probably mis-remembering, but does/did Tim Rice (plus A N Other???) not aim to provide a chronological list of all music releases, going back into the mists of time?
Might be worth a search, although this recollection is from an interview with him of the radio. If it does exist, I have no idea how release dates are recorded, whether down to actual date or not.

Sorry, unable to assist with original release, I do hope you resolve the release date, and yes it must have been love to let her borrow your record, that is something I have never done (not love, but loaning of records is a no, cd's yes)

I had no idea both these scores could be on one lp. I purchased cd's in the 90's for both of these and the running time is far greater than 25mins. Were these cd's as the original score or the lp version?

Bloss

I had no idea both these scores could be on one lp. I purchased cd's in the 90's for both of these and the running time is far greater than 25mins. Were these cd's as the original score or the lp version?

There is quite a bit online about the various releases, rather complicated to repeat here, but the recordings were different. A quick Google will find you details.
Like you, my recordings are CDs from the 90's.

Cross-referencing a couple of things I found on the internet...

Obscure 1 - 4 were released on the same day
Discreet Music was Obscure 3
Discreet Music was released on 1 November 1975

However, it was a Saturday, which seems odd.

Wikipedia isn’t more specific than ‘November 1975’

Cross-referencing a couple of things I found on the internet...

Obscure 1 - 4 were released on the same day
Discreet Music was Obscure 3
Discreet Music was released on 1 November 1975

However, it was a Saturday, which seems odd.

Wikipedia isn’t more specific than ‘November 1975’

Thanks for that nice bit of detective work!

Interestingly enough in the entry for Obscure 4, New and Rediscovered Musical Instruments, Wikipedia gives the release for the first four records on Obscure as 5th December. This seems a much more reasonable date to me being a Friday. I have always vaguely remembered getting the album the same day I met my wife in the Leicester Poly bar and this would tie in with it.

Interestingly enough in the entry for Obscure 4, New and Rediscovered Musical Instruments, Wikipedia gives the release for the first four records on Obscure as 5th December. This seems a much more reasonable date to me being a Friday. I have always vaguely remembered getting the album the same day I met my wife in the Leicester Poly bar and this would tie in with it.
Was Gavin Bryars working at Leicester Poly at the time?

I think he was, though I didn't know at the time. I guess there is a wildly slim chance that he was in the bar on that fateful evening.

Wouldn’t that be amazing? He went to the bar for a drink to celebrate the release of his record and you, who had just bought it, were standing next to him and didn’t know...

Incidentally there wasn’t a John Peel show on November 4 1975, but he could have played ‘Titanic’ earlier in the week.

Wouldn’t that be amazing? He went to the bar for a drink to celebrate the release of his record and you, who had just bought it, were standing next to him and didn’t know...

Incidentally there wasn’t a John Peel show on November 4 1975, but he could have played ‘Titanic’ earlier in the week.
It was earlier that John played the whole first side. I don't remember when though.

advertisement

Back