advertisement

Original Tannoy Crossover Refurbishment services

Thank you. I'll post a few shots of the completed crossovers once I have finished the installation and wiring kit that will accompany them ( I sell these with a very easy to install wiring kit designed for the job to fit all Tannoys, allowing the originals to be disconnected at the drive unit but left in place).

Now completed ready for delivery. Apologies for poor quality photos. Will have that sorted next time I use the camera!

Here, shown with cabling kit. Everything needed to convert your existing Tannoys to externalised crossovers. Simply drill a 22mm hole in the rear of your cabinet and the chassis sockt pushes in and is screwed into place, then simply connect the 4 pin connector to the drive unit and you're good to go. The existing crossovers can be left insitu but disconnected.

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1396-1.jpg

Pair completed ready for shipping today. Final polish using carnauba and beeswax for the woodwork and Renaissance wax (used by the British Museum for its displays inclusding casework) for the tops:

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

They look gorgeous. I just love quality artisan stuff rather than bling from overhyped bits of kit with less than stellar components and build. Sadly too much of the latter, methinks.

Another refurb, this time of 3Lz MG crossovers. Switches removed and cleaned, then reassembled. All joints checked and re-flowed. All caps replaced.

IMG_0985_zpsthfasvrv.jpg

Incorrectly specified crossovers were sent to me for sorting.

Rather than mess about with the existing board, I started from scratch, removed and saved for re-use as many components as I could from the original boards and them mounted the RFC circuit on some spare board I had lying around (this wasn't to be a money no object boxed external objet d'art affair!

I wont post the originals as I do not wish to embarrass or draw attention to the person who made them in all good faith.

Here's the end result though, ready wired for internal installation in the speaker base:

IMG_0991_zpssh5ndftm.jpg

And the "brace" of X-overs ready for packaging and return:

IMG_0992_zpsauhxywn0.jpg

Changes included sorting out the correct inductor values and types. The Mundorf BL140 HF which I supplied needed 12 feet of copper wired wound on to bring it up to value, but both are matched to within a few percent. The LF are RFC's own manufactuer "HDF" inductors and are matched to within 1% and measure just 0.1 Ohms DCR. This is accounted for in the crossover and the advantage is much improved damping factor, and better efficiency.

I have just assembled and wired things up as simply as possible to use least new resources needed and to keep costs down.

advertisement

Back