advertisement

Original Tannoy Crossover Refurbishment services

Pac1

Designer/Manufacturer
If you would like your vintage Tannoy crossovers refurbished to bring them to BETTER than original factory specification, please contact me via PM or via the website Contact Us page

Standard refurbishment of Tannoy Monitor God (all) or HPD (all) crossovers includes:
  • Strip down of crossovers
  • switch cleaning and testing
  • replacement of all factory capacitors with high quality tight tolerance polypropelyne capacitors
  • Reflowing of all solder joints
  • Cleaning PCB tracks and mounting surfaces
  • re-assembly
  • Courier delivery back to customer
The sealing gaskets are also replaced with new gaskets.

Cost is £185 plus £12 P&P.

A full refurbishment and upgrading also includes the following: Replacement of factory wiring with quality OFC biwire cable and new gold plated sprung 4 pin connectors. Cost including the previous full refurb items is £274 inclusive of P&P.

Example of recently completed fully refurbished & Upgraded crossovers:

IMG_0449_zpswt7mwpbi.jpg

IMG_0450_zpswljr6xes.jpg

IMG_0451_zpsq6cs1aq9.jpg

IMG_0452_zpssd04u47w.jpg

These are dubbed the "Ultimate" MG15 crossover...work in progress at the minute but the brief from the customer was fairly uncompromising in terms of the quality required as well as getting the circuit spot on and compensated for being fixed inductor (RFC has developed fixed inductor crossovers for almost all vintage Tannoy drivers).

The box was to be hand crafted in Oak, and the lid decorative, partly to hide the oak planking joints (there to reduce warp risk) and partly as pure decoration.

Given free reign, I came up with a pattern which is completely unique to the client and not available anywhere else. Every client is offered this bespoke service on the hand crafted crossover boxes. The pattern, after designing, is transcribed to CAD and converted for CNC machining into the post-assembled planked lids, then cut and finished by hand.

There is a lot of finishing work to do on the boxes plus the input and output terminals to fit, but this is the start. Also pictured is the start on the "Ultimate MG" crossover boards which will be hard wired:

IMG_0465_zpssqut3fbr.jpg

IMG_0466_zpsmxdoegni.jpg

IMG_0462_zpsjmwvtigo.jpg

Tannoy Monitor Gold crossovers completed:

Still some work on the boxes to finish the woodwork properly and to fit feet but these are about done. About 7Kgs per completed unit, so you wont want to be dropping them on your toes....

IMG_0484_zpseikrarjo.jpg

IMG_0488_zpskht4j4cw.jpg

IMG_0487_zpslxcfbbmq.jpg

IMG_0490_zpssmfgr2rr.jpg

I may be offering trial Tannoy crossovers in the coming year for Tannoy owners interested in upgrading their crossovers who may wish to "try before they buy". Please contact me if interested. If enough interest is raised, I'll make some up. Please specify for which drive units when contacting me :cool:

Thanks Graham. The pair you'll be listening to will use very similar parts in their crossovers. I've modified the circuit to make it more SET friendly so it will be interesting to see how the Atlantic amp will do.

Example of a crossover just completed for a "K" series (K3840) drive unit used in early Westies and the later GRF Memory loudspeakers:

IMG_0706_zps6abzmury.jpg

Level alteration and roll off resistor network dispensed with and "level" setting adopted.

Example of a crossover just completed for a "K" series (K3840) drive unit used in early Westies and the later GRF Memory loudspeakers:

IMG_0706_zps6abzmury.jpg

Level alteration and roll off resistor network dispensed with and "level" setting adopted.

Yes, I can imagine what those "energy" and "roll off" switches would contribute to the sound and contact integrity after many years of use.

Yes, I can imagine what those "energy" and "roll off" switches would contribute to the sound and contact integrity after many years of use.

It's more of an issue with the rotary switches tbh Graham (on these, they use the later screw-in adjusters), but any switched resistor network will create steps in the corner frequency of the filter, so the only good stepped attenuators are no stepped attenuators!

Many thanks Graham. Look forward to receiving them. Just a thought but what about a Falcon's new version of the T27 to keep things all original in spec? The 29TFF is a fine tweeter and will work very well too?

A pair of plain boxed Tannoy 385 HPD crossovers completed for a client in the USA.

Output wiring includes a cabinet wiring conversion complete with chassis socket and new gold plated 4 pin Tannoy drive unit connector.

IMG_0784_zpsdqywvfl2.jpg

Thanks Charlie.

Being shipped tomorrow...courier costs to New York were "interesting" :eek:

(about £100 as it happens).

Completion of a customer's external crossovers intended for some corner GRF Tannoys:

Crossovers constructed on boards using quality components:

IMG_0927_zpslasqcutp.jpg

Boxes constructed from 3/4 inch Baltic ply then veneered in Crown Cut Oak. Five coats of oil, rubbed back between coats. 5mm light smoked acrylic covers polished using renaissance wax to prevent finger prints marking them, and all input and output wiring constructed, again using quality (but not silly priced) components. New gold plated sprung 4 pin connectors. Note right angled connectors to connect in at rear of speaker, and provision of socchassis socket and internal captice cable. Provision of crossover captive cables has avoided any unecessary joints.

IMG_0947_zpsfrsyoze4.jpg

IMG_0948_zpss4ppxgbh.jpg

IMG_0949_zpskfwbosu8.jpg

IMG_0952_zpswpvebgmr.jpg

Pictured under RFC-Canterbury loudspeakers for scale. Most external crossovers look small set next to these mind...

IMG_0955_zpsg5ilmmfe.jpg

Thanks Graham. These are to the same design as the one's you heard with the RFC Canterburys.

advertisement

Back