advertisement

Orchid Precision Audio speaker

Ooh this is your first post that isn't a question. Does this mean you have been reprogrammed over the weekend?

Hi, I have a pair of these and need to replace some of the speakers. The original designer was Dave Mate. I would like to contact him for the specifications if anyone knows any contact details?

The EMIT ribbon tweeters: they are 3" square in size and handle frequencies over 10Khz. I wondered if anyone had any specifications on these?

The Audax HDA drivers are 4" drivers in an 11 by 11cm enclosure.

The speakers also use Morel 1" softdome tweeters for 5-10 Khz.

Any help would be appreciated?

Many Thanks

Hi, I have a pair of these and need to replace some of the speakers. The original designer was Dave Mate. I would like to contact him for the specifications if anyone knows any contact details?

The EMIT ribbon tweeters: they are 3" square in size and handle frequencies over 10Khz. I wondered if anyone had any specifications on these?

Many Thanks

Have you tried Sound of Music. Think they changed name. They may have contacts. Audax driver HM1 100Z0. Other numbers are 101182m 09803. if they help you. Wimslow audio may help you on drivers.

uh-oh
That would be me I guess.
Spooky that my stuff is still out there.
I gave it up about 7 years ago after I had sold 100,000 pounds worth of hifi and broke even,
which was way too much like hard work. I love the sound and like the customers but
could not stand "dealers" and "reviewers".
As far as blown drivers go, I don't have any but try IPL Acoustics for Audax and Morel.
Emit tweeters were a constant pain. The Japanese company that made them only wanted to import quantities of 1000 pcs so they were very hard to find.
In the later speakers I switched over to the legendary Heil Air Motion Transducers
which can be bought from Orange County Speaker Repair (Los Angeles) There is the
magnificent big version and a smaller version. The smaller version could be brutalized
into the cabinet containing the EMIT tweeter.
I've got both speakers left and I enjoy them and one extra superbly big valve amp.
I was given this piece of good advice:
If you can't lift it, you can't sell it.
What about lathes, said I?
I was wrong.
But it is a magnificent amp, a pure push pull class A cathode follower.
Good luck to all of you. Sorry I couldn't keep going. If I win the lottery, I'll have
a second try.
!!!!!
Dave Mate

That 'phase linking driver' was used by B&O years ago. It is on the P45's I have and is the reason they have such a great stable image, even way off to one side, as most of my listening is. The P 45 images better than the Tannoy TD12 's I had too...easily...

I first saw the black and white Orchid Precision advert in Hi Fi World magazine over 10 years ago. I can still remember the outlook of the power amp with many valves sticking out which looks impressive.

Hi. I have a pair of the Orchid PLL1 Loudspeakers. They are without a doubt the best pair of loudspeakers I've heard, the imaging and soundstage these speakers create is second to none.

I also nearly brought the Orchid solid state power amplifier the Orchadis. Although The one I was buying had an issue with over heating that proved difficult to fix.

If Dave is still about in here, I would like to ask him a few questions regarding the PLL1 speakers, I have never got the bass right on them in my current room, I recall the bass on these speakers very well at my local dealer. No other speaker could match the Orchids for bass! In my current setup I find them a little thin sounding, the speakers are on custom made granite stands. I am wondering if Dave knows of any way to tweak the speakers to give a little warmer bass. Current setup includes an Audia Flight pre amp and Mark Levinson power amp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Wish this company still made hifi! Thanks Jon

Many Thanks

Dave Mate used to work at Solid State Logic, Begbroke Oxon. Perhaps someone there may know his contact details... MGM .

Hi. I have a pair of the Orchid PLL1 Loudspeakers. They are without a doubt the best pair of loudspeakers I've heard, the imaging and soundstage these speakers create is second to none.

I also nearly brought the Orchid solid state power amplifier the Orchadis. Although The one I was buying had an issue with over heating that proved difficult to fix.

If Dave is still about in here, I would like to ask him a few questions regarding the PLL1 speakers, I have never got the bass right on them in my current room, I recall the bass on these speakers very well at my local dealer. No other speaker could match the Orchids for bass! In my current setup I find them a little thin sounding, the speakers are on custom made granite stands. I am wondering if Dave knows of any way to tweak the speakers to give a little warmer bass. Current setup includes an Audia Flight pre amp and Mark Levinson power amp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Wish this company still made hifi! Thanks Jon

Did anyone get any further in getting in touch with him?

A couple of questions,

The orchaidis solid state power amp, which emulated the remote cutoff characteristics of some power valves in order to banish cross over distortion was revied in Hi-Fi world
August 96 issue. At 350 watts per channel it did run hot, it was meant to do that.
Last I knew, ZOuch Audio had one but it needed some minor repair and as we had had a disagreement, I declined to repair it (it was no longer under warranty and I was no longer in the business).

The big valve amp never got reviewed, basically people were pretty much scared of it.
I should have made it in smaller easy to lift chunks, lie two monoblocks and two power supplies.

I still have two of those left.

PLL1 has bass response to about 25 Hz but they need to be preferanbly in corners but about two to three feet away from the walls. The rear facing port was optimized at that distance. The only way I can think of to find original EMIT ribbon tweeters is to find a cheap pair of Heybrook Sextets on ebay or somehwere and take out the tweeters from them.

I still DO work at Solid State Logic, making mixing consoles and other pro audio stuff.
If I ever retire, I might have another go at audiophile hifi because I do like designing but I'd HAVE to find somebody else who would want to do sales and marketing. That part of the work drove me absolutely nuts.

I still have all the design info for those products plus a lot of other stuff that I didn't put into manufacture like a valve preamp WITH pro audio frequency EQ. Heresy!
Some people all recordings were created equal. They are not. One of my all time favourites if the Eponymous Electric Flag album - A long Time Comin' probably one of the best blues / jazz / rock fusion albums ever made but unlistenable straight from the sleeve or CD case. For reasons like that, EQ is very useful as long as it can be switched out.

Everybody have a nice day!

Dave

A couple of questions,

The orchaidis solid state power amp, which emulated the remote cutoff characteristics of some power valves in order to banish cross over distortion was revied in Hi-Fi world
August 96 issue. At 350 watts per channel it did run hot, it was meant to do that.
Last I knew, ZOuch Audio had one but it needed some minor repair and as we had had a disagreement, I declined to repair it (it was no longer under warranty and I was no longer in the business).

The big valve amp never got reviewed, basically people were pretty much scared of it.
I should have made it in smaller easy to lift chunks, lie two monoblocks and two power supplies.

I still have two of those left.

PLL1 has bass response to about 25 Hz but they need to be preferanbly in corners but about two to three feet away from the walls. The rear facing port was optimized at that distance. The only way I can think of to find original EMIT ribbon tweeters is to find a cheap pair of Heybrook Sextets on ebay or somehwere and take out the tweeters from them.

I still DO work at Solid State Logic, making mixing consoles and other pro audio stuff.
If I ever retire, I might have another go at audiophile hifi because I do like designing but I'd HAVE to find somebody else who would want to do sales and marketing. That part of the work drove me absolutely nuts.

I still have all the design info for those products plus a lot of other stuff that I didn't put into manufacture like a valve preamp WITH pro audio frequency EQ. Heresy!
Some people all recordings were created equal. They are not. One of my all time favourites if the Eponymous Electric Flag album - A long Time Comin' probably one of the best blues / jazz / rock fusion albums ever made but unlistenable straight from the sleeve or CD case. For reasons like that, EQ is very useful as long as it can be switched out.

Everybody have a nice day!

Dave

Oh how I know just what you mean! If only.....

I remember talking to you for about half an hour a long time ago at a hifi show..... Yank accent and teeth straight from the Osmonds if you're the same guy! (no offence intended there BTW :)) It was an interesting chat and some mould breaking products....

Thank you on your comments on the PLL1 speakers. I agree with your speaker location. For me your speakers are your strong point in hifi, even when I read the reviews on the smaller speakers. I do hope in the future you get back to in to the hifi market. I happy with your PLL1 speakers.

I recall meeing Dave Mate at Westwoods in Oxford, when he was trying to get his speakers into retailers. The Prop. Julian Mason found him a bit of an odd character with his bright, dyed blonde hair. Westwoods did stock the speakers for a while, and I once saw one of his amps. in the shop. He was well thought of at Solid State Logic. A friend who once worked there said he was one of SSL's top analogue engineers.

I'm trying to find the impedance of the original emit ribbon tweeters
For the PPL1's. Could you shed any light on this Dave?

Thanks so much!

advertisement

Back