advertisement

Optimising YouTube sound on iPhone 6+

jtrade

pfm Member
A question, please : I was just listening to "All these things that I've done" starting at 1.21.30 on my laptop here
using headphones, suitably cranked up... then I thought I'd play it to my daughter when she gets home from school as she loves good rock dance tracks. So I found the same video on the iPhone in Safari, but got a "This video is not playable" message. I can find plenty of playable YouTube links to this particular song at that particular show, but the sound quality is inferior (through headphones : haven't left my office to walk down the corridor to the living room yet to plug into the main system).

It is of course possible that the recording above that plays via my laptop is better quality, but likely not, hence the thread title. I am very satisfied playing Tidal & Apple Music via the iPhone 6 DAC via cable into my main system, far preferring it to the CCA via optical that I was previously using, so this drop in quality is probably a YouTube thing. I'd like to sort it, as because I am no longer "casting", I can play anything accessible from the phone.

Edit : forgot the question, which is of course to ask if anyone has experience optimising YouTube sound quality both in general and on an iPhone ?

I also find my 6+ a bit analitical, but I've noticed that in audio what someone finds ''compressed'', others call that ''controlled''.
Also try to get the line out of the iPhone, so you bypass headphone amplifier and volume control, maybe there's some gadget in ebay..

Our iphones (6 & 7) via airplay to the Mu-so sounds very good with Youtube.

I remember using the 3.5mm out port once and it wasn't spectacular.

Hmmm... I posted the YouTube link above from my laptop - the link I could not play directly on my iPhone- yet I can play it from this thread link without problem (on my phone)... strange.

advertisement

Back