advertisement

Optical to coax SPDIF convertors, any recommendations?

Mr_Sukebe

pfm Member
As per the title. Just bought an Xbox, which uses an optical SPDIF. Need to convert to coax for use with my processor.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

The other way around is easy. You will need some sort of device with its own power supply.

What kind of processor (DAC) do you have?

Louballoo

I don't think I have any cheap solutions. For what its worth you could always just keep two runs of toslink and plug in/out as required.

Louballoo

I also have the maplin one. There is nothing to it, just an optical 'socket', a RCA output and a small PSU to power the socket.

The optical sockets you see on every piece of kit actually convert the optical signal to an electrical one, so there is nothing much else required, and you shouldn't worry about quality as it is the same thing nearly all kit uses anyway.

Aha! The same problem I had... I moved the optical lead from my Laserdisc player to the XBox (assuming it's easier to convert "straight" 44.1/16 rather than Dolby Digital/DTS) and put this on the Laserdisc player:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/19515962/-/Product.html

Worked nicely, and almost half the price of Maplin's...

EDIT: Me being a div, I accidentally ordered the "wrong way round" version first; I can vouch for PCArena's patience with me and a swift resolution of the issue which I'D created :)

advertisement

Back