advertisement

Opinions ref Quad 77-10L speakers

RichShortland

pfm Member
I really like good, little speakers. I have a set of good, very big speakers but I’m keen on at least having a try at some little ones again too.

I also have a thing for infinite baffle speakers. The obvious choice therefore might be LA3/5as or one of the many similar little sealed boxes, and tbh I’d probably end up with a set of the Falcon Q7’s as, on paper, they sound ideal.
But for now I’d quite like to just dip a toe without quite that investment.

Which got me thinking of the little Quads. I know the 10L is a lot different to the 11 and 12L that followed (Spendor designed / sealed etc) and has quite a following.
Can any users/owners give me their view on what they sound like?

They would be on the end of a Croft Phono Integrated in a fairy large room but in almost near field and close to the rear wall.

thanks in advance!

I have a pair of mint 11 Classics wrapped up in a box. I couldn't part with them and will likely use the again as a small room system. Superb.

My last passive system included the Quad S2.

Unfortunately I have not used the 10L.

I have to be honest, I clicked on the thread to read any thoughts/opinions.

I just picked a pair of the little L-ite mini bookshelf models today (to clean up and sell on), I’m surprised at how lively and up front they are, they’re very easy to drive and go loud easily on the end of my Cyrus 3. I know they’re not the same speaker, but in any case, my initial impression of Quad’s bookshelf models is a good one. I’d love to have a play with a bigger, more upmarket model... build quality is very good, although the grille pegs are a weak spot.

I’ve never heard the 10Ls, only the later ported Chinese-made 11Ls (which are a very decent little speaker for not much money). As you say the 10Ls were made by Spendor for Quad, so I’d expect them to be in the same ballpark as Spendor’s various S3/5 types, which is a very nice ballpark to be in. I have a pair of S3/5R on TV duty and I like them a lot. A really good little speaker for not much money at all second hand (I paid £500 absolutely mint and boxed). I’d shortlist a pair if the 10L are proving elusive.

I had a pair of 10L’s and they are, for a small speaker, simply stunning. I ran them off Rega amplification and couldn’t have been happier. Totally neutral in the best possible way, but the organisation and sound-staging were excellent. I would have kept them for ever but I moved house and they ended up in a 6 x 4 metre room and their little 5 inch drivers were completely lost; I would have had to sit in the middle of the room to be in the sweet spot. I sold them but regret it every day. They really are as good as their hype - in the right sized room or listening distance.

I had a pair of Quad 10Ls for a while, around 2010. I didn't keep them for long - they were a small-speaker experiment, a bit like the one you're contemplating. I'd been very happy with Celestion SL600s and LS3/5as in the eighties and nineties, but I'd been using much bigger speakers since, so I wanted to see if small could still be beautiful.

However I learned very quickly that I really do prefer bigger speakers now, so the Quads didn't stay. I don't think it was the fault of the Quads' - just the wrong speakers for me at the time. If I absolutely had to downsize, I wouldn't rule them out, although I'd probably prefer LS3/5as if I could get them without paying silly money.

I borrowed a pair of 10Ls from a friend and they compared well with the LS3/5as I had at the time.
The ‘3/5as had more bass ‘volume’, but the 10Ls weren’t outclassed.
As for imaging, etc. the little Quads gave nothing away.
My friend doesn’t use them now as he bought some little Harbeths.

The beauty of the Quads are their value: expect to pay no more than £200 for a good pair. Now look at the speakers they’re being compared favourably to. However, they are a small speaker so don’t expect them to fill a bigger room or thump your chest with bass.
If anybody knows anybody selling a pair, please let me know.

Thanks all for the feedback - that’s really helpful. It’s largely confirmed what I hoped and some of the other views I’d read elsewhere. Seems there’s are lots of 11L for sale but the 10L are much rarer.
I’d rather give the 10Ls a go given they are a sealed box, but the slight extra bass response of the 11L might be welcome.

@onlyconnect @jimpey @Martyn Miles @irb @RoA In terms of placement, did you find they liked a lot of space? I’m guessing some light open frame Kan-type stands would be best, rather than something heavyweight?..

thanks again for the insight all

did you find they liked a lot of space? I’m guessing some light open frame Kan-type stands would be best,

I never had Kans but IIUC they (Kans that is) benefit from being close to the wall for some bass reinforcement. I think that probably applies equally to the 10L hence the wall brackets I used.
It goes without saying of course that the wall needs to solid rather than timber frame, both for support and reinforcement.

Jim

@onlyconnect @jimpey @Martyn Miles @irb @RoA In terms of placement, did you find they liked a lot of space? I’m guessing some light open frame Kan-type stands would be best, rather than something heavyweight?..

Yes the 11Ls being ported like to be pulled away from the wall a bit and sound good on stands. They are not at all fussy though and it's hard to make them sound bad! I think far more were made than the 10L.

Tim

I have to be honest, I clicked on the thread to read any thoughts/opinions.

I just picked a pair of the little L-ite mini bookshelf models today (to clean up and sell on), I’m surprised at how lively and up front they are, they’re very easy to drive and go loud easily on the end of my Cyrus 3. I know they’re not the same speaker, but in any case, my initial impression of Quad’s bookshelf models is a good one. I’d love to have a play with a bigger, more upmarket model... build quality is very good, although the grille pegs are a weak spot.

I use a pair of L-ite daily for near field listening at my desk - they hang either side of my monitor of a shelf. Lively little beasts they are to (if a little bass shy)

Also use them occasionally partnered with Quad 22L in a dual amp set up, complement each other perfectly.

You are absolutely right about small infinite baffle speakers . I've changed every part of my system in the last heaven knows how many years except my Spendor S3 speakers .
The Quad 10 L were made by Spendor in the UK , I was after a pair for some time till I gave up .I did find a pair on e-bay with a duff base driver I contacted Quad service dept and they no longer had any . With hind sight I should have bought them since the dive unit in question was certainly a bought in OEM unit and someone like Wimslow Audio would have had a replacement .

The infinite baffle thing is the addictive , do try and find a pair of Quad 10 L 's or Spendor S3 's which are like the original Spendor S 3/5 but with different cross overs , the S3 has a bit more get up and go .The S3E has a slot in the back and was not for me .

Well I've had an interesting time looking at 11L, 11L2, 12L, 12L Classic... lots of different versions and finishes out there, but I keep coming back to the 10L due to the sealed box thing...

@Rosie I think you're right - I may be better to keep focused on the 10L and maybe gather some extra ££ for a pair of Spendor S3 or S3/5 if I can't find any Quads (which I think is what will happen).

advertisement

Back