advertisement

Op Amp upgrade

beansxda

Hi all,

Currently building a list of upgrades/repairs for my project azur 340a, what would be a decent drop in upgrade for the NE5532? Seen some discussions from a few years back but wondering what's currently on the market

Thanks in advance

Pete

Nothing in particular but am hoping to fit a socket so that I can swap in/out a couple to experiment and see what I prefer

Depending on what the NE5532 is doing in the circuit, the LM4562 is a drop in replacement and sounds cleaner and more dynamic to me.
Easy and cheap to try
Alan

It's traditional for the measurements-are-all brigade to insist that the 5532 and related chips are perfect and can't be improved on.

If this is true then I'm puzzled why so many manufacturers have designed better chips...

I've not juggled op-amps in years, but one thing I'm certain of is that almost anything sounds better - a DIP socket and pocketful of affordable chips should be instructive.

Depending on what the NE5532 is doing in the circuit, the LM4562 is a drop in replacement and sounds cleaner and more dynamic to me.
Easy and cheap to try
Alan
Thanks for the recommendation, added to the list and will give it a whirl!

It's traditional for the measurements-are-all brigade to insist that the 5532 and related chips are perfect and can't be improved on.

If this is true then I'm puzzled why so many manufacturers have designed better chips...

I've not juggled op-amps in years, but one thing I'm certain of is that almost anything sounds better - a DIP socket and pocketful of affordable chips should be instructive.
Are there any in particular that stood out to you when you did tinker?

LM4562 has a really-nasty susceptibility to incoming RF noise; depending on what use you are putting it to - it may not be what you are looking-for. I don't care for it myself.

With the NE5532/34 - the key to good performance was identified by Doug Self : it's to ensure there is 100nF of film cap as close as you can, across the +/_ supply pins ( i.e. across the supply rails, right at the opamp)

Which raises the wider pont: if you are playing with opamp swaps- you are playing with coupling/ bypass cap requirement strategies , as much as opamps. For best performance these things are not plug & play - esp if you are using sockets!

LM4562 has a really-nasty susceptibility to incoming RF noise; depending on what use you are putting it to - it may not be what you are looking-for. I don't care for it myself.

With the NE5532/34 - the key to good performance was identified by Doug Self : it's to ensure there is 100nF of film cap as close as you can, across the +/_ supply pins ( i.e. across the supply rails, right at the opamp)

Which raises the wider pont: if you are playing with opamp swaps- you are playing with coupling/ bypass cap requirement strategies , as much as opamps. For best performance these things are not plug & play - esp if you are using sockets!
I'm looking around for film caps now as the Azur 340a already includes 2 caps to ground on the + and -, do you know of any specific brands/models I should look out for because at the moment I'm only seeing ones that'll be far too large to drop in

The red block Wima caps are very popular.

You will find a lot of the modern op-amps (OPA1656 for instance) are surface mount only now, so you may need to mount them on a sub PCB to get them into sockets.

Are there any in particular that stood out to you when you did tinker?

Way too long ago / way too many dead brain-cells... I was shuffling O/As in a Stello (April Music) CDP, and it responded well to such changes. The points that Martin mentions re. DIP cradles is also much-mentioned, but it's not something I encountered in practice.

This topic has a lot in common with tube-rolling, in that there may exist a technically-correct solution and a whole spectrum of subjective-preference solutions - and the latter can involve added harmonic distortion that some people actually like, which makes recommendations somewhat pointless.

At the time (~15 years ago+), chip manufacturers would supply a couple of technical samples FOC to prospective users who registered with them - tho' I'd imagine that's long-ago ceased.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

advertisement

Back