advertisement

oops, my speaker cable ends were were touching while plugged in. oops

I think it's simpler to install idiot proof loudspeaker connections like Neutrik Speakons. I can't believe in this day and age people are still buying terminations that allow amplifier-killing shorts.

7560154-md.jpg

Agree with you there James, Im just playing with some PA equipment and that all has Neutrik speakon plugs and XLRs and I must admit I am impressed by the quality of these connectors and it certainly would stop the danger of touching banana plugs to gether. ;)
Think I may convert my speakers and amps using these connectors

Alan

105's have relay protectio. They also have fuses. On the rear panel, adjacent to the socketry.

Chris

If the 105s are anything like my 559s then after a relay trip you have to disconnect the amp from the mains in order to reset.

The 559s have a mains rocker switch at the rear and standby buttons on the front - one for each mono block. After a trip the amp appears 'dead' but after turning off the mains at the rocker switch for about 30s everything springs back to life. Fail safe I'd guess as the 559 could weld the wires together with 150A capability.......

Cheers,

DV

I think it's simpler to install idiot proof loudspeaker connections like Neutrik Speakons. I can't believe in this day and age people are still buying terminations that allow amplifier-killing shorts.

7560154-md.jpg

its another example of the "never mind the quality feel the margin" approach in the hifi trade. The charlatans will probably have the brass neck to tell you that speakons dont sound good

its another example of the "never mind the quality feel the margin" approach in the hifi trade. The charlatans will probably have the brass neck to tell you that speakons dont sound good
Quite, the Speakons don't break the wallet sufficiently to warrant audiophoolery. But my thinking is, if they are good enough for the pros, they are good enough in my domestic situation. The Neutriks don't sound half bad with Mogami cables.

Here's a couple of pictures of the backs of the 105.

There seems to be a fuse on the power supply and on the power amp, so you may be in luck.

Power Supply
105a%5b1963%5d.jpg

Power Amp
105b%5B1964%5D.jpg

The 105 protection circuit doesn't need unplugging to reset it as far as I remember. Mine used to trip out on one channel in hot weather at party volumes, whether that one ran hotter because of airflow or adjustment I never worked out, I just parked a fan near it when it tripped.

I suspect that your problem is that a dead short doesn't heat up the thing gradually the way it does if it's just being thrashed into a 4 ohm load, so it doesn't have time to say "no, sorry, I don't mind getting hot in normal operation but you really are taking the mick, I'm switching off".

DIN connectors are an abomination...
Not strictly so...they can be a real pain to make off but the actual contact pressure is very high (which is good) and the shape of the socket-contacts is such that they have a highly effective self-cleaning action every time a plug is inserted.

All this makes a well-manufactured DIN connection very reliable and far less prone to dirt issues which, in my view, account for most of the sonic "anomalies" some people claim to hear with RCA leads.

Don't knock the humble DIN plug!

They are also, like a finger of fudge, very small and neat so you can get loads of connections into a small space, and you can't plug them in the wrong way (as mentioned earlier) unless using excessive force, and they extend the screen over the pins before signal is connected - unlike phono - as well as some making ground contact before signal (longer pin 2), and are less prone to things shorting out if you habitually connect/disconnect stuff with the power on.

They're not that bad for making up either, not that much worse than phono in my experience, and so much cuter that it's worth it. :)

LONG LIVE DIN.

Hi,

DINs also are a better impeadence match to cables, so they sound better then Phonos.

Pete

Hi,

Starfish and hackernap owner ;-)

Did a phono to din mod on a Rotel RCD956BXLE sounded better.

JV thought so as well.

Pete

Hi and thanks to everyone who has replied. The story so far is, no beer for two days, my trusty repairer has come across swollen and leaking caps and a minor issue in the front end and looks untouched inside. Its 31 years old.
So as my smart naim owning mate said, "could be a good thing it happened".
It was switched off overnight and was still out in the morning, so no reseting was done. I will follow up this thread when the unit returns.
Thanks again all you fine folk.

So your electrolytic caps were already knackered and when asked for some umph self destructed. Lucky you.

You'll be amazed at the improved performance when you get them back even without a bevvy.........

Cheers,

DV

DINs also are a better impeadence match to cables, so they sound better then Phonos.
Eddy current effects (IIRC) on regular RCA plugs are one primary reason they can sound inferior. This is largely ameliorated in the single point contact of plugs from the likes of Eichmann and WBT Nextgen.

advertisement

Back