advertisement

Oops! Damn! Ouch!!

banjoman

pfm Member
While fiddling around with alignment, I managed to poke my thumb into my benz micro glider cart.
Result, broken cantilever and stylus - dislodged from cartridge and embedded deep into my thumb.

After extracting the cantilever and exhausting my multiligual expletives vocabulary, I am now thinking of what next.

Is it worth getting the cantilever and stylus replaced on the Benz cart?

If so, what are my options?
Go back to Benz?
Is there a cartridge fixer equivalent of Johnny from Audio Origami?

That sounds quite horrid. Imagine, death by stylus! There will be those who point you (sorry) towards an 'outside' retip by Expert Styli or others. I'd stick with a trade in on the glider....given your sad tale they will hopefully give you a good deal.

Trade it in for a new one, you can probably claim on your accidental damage contents cover if you have said insurance.

Nasty with your thumb there.

Trade it in for a new one, you can probably claim on your accidental damage contents cover if you have said insurance.

Nasty with your thumb there.

Thanks

I do have contents insurance, but the Benz cart was a second hand purchase without any receipt. Not sure if the insurance will cover it

Thanks

I do have contents insurance, but the Benz cart was a second hand purchase without any receipt. Not sure if the insurance will cover it

I don't think you should need a receipt. A photo of your record deck with a knackered cartridge should be sent with the claim form. As long as they believe the item belonged to you then you should not have to produce a receipt. In saying that I keep home insurance for the big hit rather than small claims; insurance companies can really take the p**s with premiums if you make a number of small claims. If your excess is anything like mine then it won't be worth claiming anyway.

Simon

Well if its any help my insurance company replaced my broken 2nd hand Ortofon MC30 supreme with a brand new Ortofon Rondo Bronze! The only drawback was trying to explain to every operative i spoke to what a cartridge/arm/turntable was. Give it a go you may be suprised
paul

Well if its any help my insurance company replaced my broken 2nd hand Ortofon MC30 supreme with a brand new Ortofon Rondo Bronze! The only drawback was trying to explain to every operative i spoke to what a cartridge/arm/turntable was. Give it a go you may be suprised
paul

Yes, I had this experience with my one and only (Roksan Shiraz) claim in the mid nineties.

If you have a contents policy, you'll almost certainly be covered under 'audio-visual', which, regardless of the rest of the contents cover, nearly always covers accidental damage. T'will cost you your excess, and maybe (depending on size of claim; ,<£1k or >£1k ), a premium hike on renewal

Thanks for the advice folks.
I am tempted to try the insurance claim route but I tend to agree with doctorf that it might be better to save claims for bigger incidents.
I am sure my butterfingers has scope for damaging more expensive cartridges in the future

Oh no, what a nightmare, just after setting up that lovely 401! A couple of stiff whiskys, then a new cartridge adventure perhaps?

If you want your cartridge repaired try Wyndham Hodge at Expert Stylus
Many PFMrs have, including myself have had their pride and joys,restored to pristine condition.
At one time Benz were getting Wyndham to do all their cartridge repairs and retips.

Dominic at Northwest Analogue is passionate about cartridges, send him a message, he will give you good advice.

regards Al

advertisement

Back