advertisement

Ooops. I appear to have bought some ESLs

johnfromnorwich

even my wife noticed the dif..
I've been umming and erring over trying some panels for a while now. I nearly bought a pair off Starbuck earlier this year but he was selling them with subs and someone else made an offer for the whole shebang (I didn't really need the subs - I have Tannoys for rocking out). Anyway, I've just bought what appear to be a very nicely maintained/serviced pair of Quad ESL 63s... Pics will follow when they arrive. Space is becoming an issue!

I thought you were supposed to be studying

Anyway hurrah!

Any Pics should carefully include aspects of your squalid student lifestyle this will increase the nostalgia factor already associated with your Quads

Good luck with both the Phid and the speakers

I thought you were supposed to be studying

Anyway hurrah!

Any Pics should carefully include aspects of your squalid student lifestyle this will increase the nostalgia factor already associated with your Quads

Good luck with both the Phid and the speakers

Unfortunately student squalor isn't what it used to be! At least for 40 something home-owning, cohabiting, second-career seeking mature students like me (hence the ability to afford the Quads). As for nostalgia, they will actually only be the the third oldest speakers I use... Can't wait.

Well I took delivery at about 7.30 am today. For starters they are in immaculate condition. Also they weigh a lot less than the Tannoys (which I stand no chance of moving out the room singlehanded). Batteries have died in my camera so still no pics.

First impressions. Well all the cliches ring true.
1. It's not exactly that they don't go 'loud', it's more that they lack the high energy bass that you get from a really big cone. Loud enough for normal listening, but just not geared towards huge bass transients. Not a 'rock' speaker then. As expected.

2. Very detailed and both the mid-band and timing are pretty special. I've been blasting out Blue Train, Round Midnight and the first Hunter's Loaf album and it all sounds quite wonderful. On the latter, you can almost hear their shoes creaking. Certainly a bit more open sounding than the Tannoys, esp in the upper mids, BUT it isn't night and day. In fact I'm coming to the conclusion that the Tannoy Gold may be the best all rounder I've ever heard. I'll throw some nasty electronica at them next and see what happens.

3. Sound stage seems a little more reigned in than the Tannoys. This may be a placement issue. I've got then about a meter into the room and about 7 feet apart which is what I thought was recommended. I have a nasty reflective floor which may not be helping. I'll have a play.

I'm liking these a lot. If I had to pick, I'd probably still take the Tannoys since they are more versatile and don't lose out by very much in the areas where the Quads excel. Fortunately, for now at least, I don't have to make the choice! More will follow when I have batteries.

I'd have them 2 to 3 metres from the rear wall, preferably one third of the way down the room.

Do some research on tweaking them. Stands are important, and adding a heavy weight on the top seems popular

I'd have them 2 to 3 metres from the rear wall, preferably one third of the way down the room.

Do some research on tweaking them. Stands are important, and adding a heavy weight on the top seems popular

I've moved them a couple of meters in and they seem a lot happier. Pretty sure they will benefit from some floor clearance as well. Any stands that are recommended / not recommended? I saw some open frame metal ones on ebay a while ago but nothing since. I think Peter Walker said that beer crates are fine but I might not be allowed to do that.

I used GFD open frame stand on castors, hard to find though

I also plonked them on top of some 15" Target HJ15/3 stands. Just the right height and suprisingly stable as they have a massive top plate.

I still have them.

Yes the creaking shoes detail is pretty fab. Myself I am enjoying the hanging of decay notes - for eg: a piano seem to be audible way longer than my previous briks or present DC 611's

Also hearing the thudding of piano hammers before and after notes are played is also (not necessarily) musically interesting but further shows the wondrous detail - so although I do miss scale <AND I think the limiters QUAD began to fit as standard but werent on my last pair do take some gentle subtlety out - a loss of the airyness I remember - perhaps its my age of course> the detail is a big compensation.

Anyway I still look forward to someone sometime saying come on over and listen to my big Tannoys so I will be able to jdge for myself. Any pictures yet

The floor isn't as bare as it looks, I'd moved the big rug whilst hoovering.
4679137851_6fd3d609ac_b.jpg

advertisement

Back