advertisement

Oooh eck...

I'm pretty sure Bub has an internal adjustment, the arrangement of the boards doesn't allow external access.

Best arrangement would be a more sensible pre so that less unnecessary amplification happens.

Paul

You fool. I thought you didn't like ATCs, or was it just my ATCs you didn't like? Have you had a demo at AE?
No, I wasn't impressed with a pair of 50 actives I'd heard back in maybe 1999 - but that was likely the source/pre used, or maybe just the music selection, I can't say. I don't really remember much about yours other than the appearance, which I wasn't wowed by (big black speakers on the old angle-iron) but sonically I think it sounded good. Judging any speakers (and by inference, system) is always muddied by the context of room, source material and so forth. I found the 50s I'd heard far too 'bad PA-like' - but I felt your 100s were much better although I don't think I heard more than a single track or maybe two - but it was a long time ago so I am not sure.

Anyway, I have clearance for 100 towers in yew or cherry. Cherry is the closest match but a bit veneerus vulgaris, whilst yew is more interesting but depending on figure and actual colour might be a bit off. Darker woods I'm not sold on, other than proper walnut or figured rosewood, either of which don't seem to be available (according to the ATC swatch).

Money-wise, I can't say, but I am comfortable with the deal - enough to consider brand new over used. I just have to sleep on it as it's not an every-day decision...

My impression is that the larger ATC actives all sound pretty much the same, apart from the bass response.

If you are having them made to order, specify the anniversary amp packs.

DSC_0254.jpg

No, I wasn't impressed with a pair of 50 actives I'd heard back in maybe 1999 - but that was likely the source/pre used, or maybe just the music selection, I can't say. I don't really remember much about yours other than the appearance, which I wasn't wowed by (big black speakers on the old angle-iron) but sonically I think it sounded good. Judging any speakers (and by inference, system) is always muddied by the context of room, source material and so forth. I found the 50s I'd heard far too 'bad PA-like' - but I felt your 100s were much better although I don't think I heard more than a single track or maybe two - but it was a long time ago so I am not sure.

Anyway, I have clearance for 100 towers in yew or cherry. Cherry is the closest match but a bit veneerus vulgaris, whilst yew is more interesting but depending on figure and actual colour might be a bit off. Darker woods I'm not sold on, other than proper walnut or figured rosewood, either of which don't seem to be available (according to the ATC swatch).

Money-wise, I can't say, but I am comfortable with the deal - enough to consider brand new over used. I just have to sleep on it as it's not an every-day decision...
So you are going to spend the best part of 11 grand on speakers you are not 100% sure on :confused:

No, no, I am certain that they are superb speakers, I just need to see if I can get them to work in my room.

My impression is that the larger ATC actives all sound pretty much the same, apart from the bass response.

If you are having them made to order, specify the anniversary amp packs.

DSC_0254.jpg
Interesting. It would depend on how much that'd add to the overall cost. I'm sailing close to the maximum I'd want to spend on anything hifi related as it is...

I would definitely second Bub vis a vis the amp packs.

I really didn't get on with ATC's in general but found the Anniversaries powered by the discrete amp packs to be a substantial improvement in simply sounding more natural.

I would say whatever they might add they would be worthwhile in the long run. And I think most people buy ATC's for the long run.

I'll discuss it with the dealer. IF they work in the room, I really am closing the cheque-book on speakers for good. So I'd want to get the right things. They'll cost me dear though (aside from the actual speaker cost): a new sofa and a labradoodle puppy (don't ask), and perhaps I'll have to concede my desire to switch from carpet to walnut flooring in the listening room just to get these tubby muthas past the FPO...

I had a chance to crank the Adams up last night (including the BK sub) and I am still astonished by how good they are, though. It makes me wonder where ATCs could possibly improve on the sound, other than scale. That said, I want floor-standing actives and there isn't that much choice outside of AVI and some even more expensive options (if I could find a pair, the floor-standing versions of my Adams would have been an option, but in active form they're only a tad cheaper than ATC50s anyway, and the jump to 50s doesn't scare me... and then from there, again, only a modest jump to 100s... which ought to at least match the Adams in every regard and improve on scale and bass depth.

It might seem to some to be all very sudden (including me) but I've had the notion of the 50 towers for at least six months now, though the one time I heard the stand-mount version didn't work for me. However, I know enough now to know that that was due to other things - room/source/music. So I am confident that ATCs will tick the boxes...

There was/is a dealer in Scotland whos been trying to sell a mint pair of used 50 Annies on ebay for £7K. They may pop up again soon, worth checking, JTC.

Forgive me sticking my finger into this nest of ATC vipers, but for anyone contemplating buying ATC50s, don't do so until you've auditioned these. I heard them in a German studio earlier in the year and they struck me as what the ATCs would like to be.... and half the price.

It is very likely that 'Top Cat' as he was then known is referring to hearing my 50s in Edinburgh. He bought his own music. I remember because I disn;t, well, 'appreciate' it. I also distinctly remember there being very little music played, which I found surprising. Maybe it was so unlistenably bad? (For context: 20 foot by 14 foot Georgian New Town flat; Meridian 200/AS Dax Decade balanced straight into 50ASls.)

But it clearly wasn't just me: TC says that when he visited Bub's he heard 'one or two tracks'. Why would one have such a gathering - in that case driving 50 miles each way - and not listen to music?

I distinctly remember TC lambasting Bub's set-up on the Mana forum just as arduously and emphatically as he did mine. I don't give a hoot (and I'm sure neither does Bub) if TC liked the sound achieved then or the sound achieved now.

But expect this thread to go on for another 200 posts and, as ever, reach no conclusion in terms of a purchase....but hey, maybe I'll be proved wrong.

Salman

Salman

I think many of us use one or two tracks that we are very familiar with when assessing systems. I'm guilty.

The problem we have is that we are used to hearing these tracks in our own acoustics so they will always sound very different in strange surroundings.

Listening at home is the ideal. I was impressed more by the ATC's at home than I was at the factory.

My old Anniversaries sold for over eight so less than that is a good price I would say.

I'm feeling a bit left out with my lowly classic 50s, albeit clad in yew, that king of woods and destroyer of French armies.

So I've started an SCM200ASL thought experiment.

Paul

advertisement

Back