advertisement

Only for power cable believers

I do believe in sorting out the mains to a system is beneficial. It's not the flex that really matter but that said; it needs to be decent stuff.
Likewise, once we get through COVID and I can get some sparky and joiner work done inside I’ll be finishing the electrical and lighting system changes I have been planning for a while, will look into a battery wall again for my solar too. A dedicated AV power layout has been discussed with my sparky, he’s done a fair few and didn’t give me too many quizzical looks :)

I currently have an old cheap pc mains lead to my Dynavector power amp.
Do you think it would be worth upgrading to a "better" mains lead? My dealer keeps pushing shunyata power leads, but they are completely out of my price range, thinking more up to £50 or £60, or is that just buying a nicer looking lead of the same quality I already have?

I currently have an old cheap pc mains lead to my Dynavector power amp.
Do you think it would be worth upgrading to a "better" mains lead? My dealer keeps pushing shunyata power leads, but they are completely out of my price range, thinking more up to £50 or £60, or is that just buying a nicer looking lead of the same quality I already have?
Borrow a couple if you’re friendly enough with the dealer or if you’re diy handy make one up, then it’ll be the exact length, colour and type of plugs you want. There are kits ready to put together from various outlets like MCRU. A few off the shelf cables around at £60 if you don’t fancy making, mos5 should be on 30 day sale or return.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Mainskees 'I'm a Believer'

Lyrics

I thought clean mains was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for me
RF hash was out to get me
That's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all of my dreams

Then I saw her plug, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind
I'm in love
I'm a believer, I couldn't unplug her if I tried

I thought mains was more or less a giving thing
Seems the more I gave the less I got
What's the use in tryin'
All you get is pain?
When I needed sunshine, I got rain

I'm in love

Oh

Oh, mains was out to get me
Now, that's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all of my dreams

I'm in love

Yes, I saw her plug, now I'm a believer
Said, I'm a believer, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah (I'm a believer)
Said, I'm a believer, yeah (I'm a believer)
I said, I'm a believer, yeah (I'm a believer)
Gosh, can’t get that song out of my head now ! :eek:

The Syncro is THE cure for most singalong toroids.
I'm keeping the Syncro + Sigmas alongside the QBase 8. Horses for courses...

The QBase etc gets the Aesthetix and dCS boxes which have power supplies that don't need the Isotek stuff and sound much better on the Qbase (even with a 5€ kettle lead between the Qbase and the wall, with a Frey it goes even further)

The Sycnro + Sigmas get the Cambridge CXU (only really used for ripping SACDs), the NAS (when I get around to buying one) and the SME 20 (the power supplies whether mk2 or mk3 both hum without the Syncro)
UPDATE
I have just replaced that 5€ kettle lead between the wall and my QBase8 (the 2 Frey 2 leads I already had were 1m and too short to reach the wall socket). Replaced the 5€ with a 2m Nordost Frey 2 and to quote myself "the improvement is worthwhile repeatable and incremental"
In the context of my silly-price system, room, ears and budget it was worth every Euro (financed for about 40% by the sale of an EAR834p deluxe that I haven't used since I got an Aesthetix Rhea Signature).

Borrow a couple if you’re friendly enough with the dealer or if you’re diy handy make one up, then it’ll be the exact length, colour and type of plugs you want. There are kits ready to put together from various outlets like MCRU. A few off the shelf cables around at £60 if you don’t fancy making, mos5 should be on 30 day sale or return.
A word of warning - don't borrow what you cannot afford - returning something that works after a loan can be a big disappointment :)

This afternoon I was talking to a friend who took several weeks to get over returning a dCS Rossinii after loan and going back to his dCS Bartok :) And the Bartok is on the great to brilliant end of the sound scale.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Used two Rega uprated ones on my Saturn/Elicit combo.
Very worthwhile upgrade . Great cost effective buy, especially second hand.
:)

There may be several factors that contribute to the effect of power cables in the system, whether they bring a difference or not. For the past 20+ years in this hobby I have not heard a noticeable or big difference with different power cords with my equipment.

Most of my power cords are low to midrange types and come in UK and US plugs. Power cords which come in US plugs cannot be plugged directly to the wall outlet hence a power strip is used to connect these cords to the equipment. Cords which come in UK plugs that I have tried include DIY Kimber and Chord purple PowerChord. Cords which come in US plugs include Supra Lorad, Wireworld Elektra7 and Virtual Dynamics Nite II. There is minimal to zero difference between all these power cords when I compared them many years ago until I gave up on power cords. In my mind, during that time, power cords have the least impact to the system when compared to speaker cables and interconnects.

Fast forward to today, the perception has changed. Power cords now have the biggest impact to the system. The biggest change does not directly come from power cords but the interface where the cords are being connected to. More details below.

*Disclaimer : Please note that I am not based in the UK.
UK type outlet replaced to US type receptacles (Furutech GTX-D NCF). One word - massive difference with cords going directly between wall outlet and component.

Before ;
IMG-20200904-200008.jpg

After ;
IMG-20200904-195938.jpg

With this arrangement I can now connect power cords with US plugs directly to the wall outlet, bypassing the power strip.
Recently I acquired two Acrolink cords with factory terminated US plug. Direct connection to the wall outlet. End game.

Must say that if I were starting from scratch I would have a fused cord from the wall (for insurance purposes) into whatever conditioner, regenerator or distribution block you fancy but with schuko or USA sockets and therefore bypass the fused plugs and associated complexities we have to adhere to in grand old Blighty.

IMG-20201206-124657.jpg

Acrolink cords with US plugs connected directly to wall outlet.

Glad this has worked for you, thanks for sharing. I guess it just also shows how important the mains block is where an arrangement such as yours connecting directly to the wall (and, of course, with high quality components) may not be practical. I have found most mains blocks and conditioners I’ve tried (arguably nothing extortionately expensive) largely disappointing but at least have heard the significant difference they can make. They need good evaluation, come with some trade off in various aspects of sound quality and the good ones do not come cheap. So taking them out of the chain altogether can be a good solution where feasible.

Well, I took the plunge. Never tried changing out an AC cable before, was curious to see it it would make a difference. I ordered an AudioQuest NRG-Y3 power cable (six feet long and $160 US) for my PS Audio Sprout100. A $160 power cable for a $700 integrated amplifier seemed a bit stupid, but this is “high-end audio” so dumb kinda comes with the territory. BTW, this cable was specifically “curated” by PS Audio to be the ideal match for the Sprout...ugh.

The good news? The new cable definitely made an obvious difference in sound quality; no ambiguity there.

The bad news? It sounded worse than the el cheapo 18AWG cable that came with the amp. The most obvious problem was the weak, murky bass. Bass guitars and kick drums receded into the mix, losing both volume and clarity. In terms of the proverbial “toe tapping” criterion, the AQ cable was a total failure. On the (possible) upside, it offered a beguiling sense of air and ambience; the problem is, this seemed a bit overdone and was present on songs where it didn’t belong. Almost like adding a subtle echo effect to every recording.

The AQ cable is 16 AWG vs. 18 AWG standard cable, so the poor bass performance shouldn’t be attributable to using a too-thin cable. I dunno, whatever the reasons the AQ cable was a bust and is being returned.

FWIW, that’s my experience in the Great Power Cable Debate. Fortunately for me, the Sprout100 has its Bluetooth antenna jammed so close to the AC power input that many audiophile power cables with beefy barrel-shaped IEC C13 connectors just won’t fit. So I’ll just have to make do with the perfectly fine (and free) cable that came with the amp. How very sad...tee hee.

Last edited:
I’ve just changed the power cords on my subs from bog standard to home made Furutech cable and plugs. The bass was so much tighter and tuneful, so much so that I now play them 3db louder than they were set at before the change...

advertisement

Back