advertisement

only 4 out of 5 stars review for Rega Apollo R!

Just read 'What Hi Fi's' review of the new Rega CDP, but was surprised to see that they have given it 4 stars only, saying that they found it detailed but not bringing the strands of the music together as well as other machines (or some such criticism) Thought that Rega were on a roll at present, and expected an automatic five star review.
How much weight should be given to mag reviews? One of the reasons I bought my RS3's was that they hadn't been reviewed in any of the popular mags at the time (though a subsequent review of a Rega System including them, in What Hi-Fi, received a 5 star review) Do mags favour certain maufacturers? I thought there was a bias towards marantz and mission gear at one time...

Rega has never been a WHF type company, they dont advertise enough.

I stopped reading What HiFi in the nineties when there seemed to be a corellation between number of stars and number of that brands adverts in the Mag! Call me synical but I like to hear for myself, and take a view from other people who recommend products to formulate a short list.

I recently bought an Arcam A38 amp, with some doubts due to the whf review that gave only 3 stars, but I had a demo from the dealer and the sound was really beatiful, so I decided to buy it....

Not yet completed the 100 hours of burning in but the sound is already astonishing...

And I'm comtinuosly asking to myself why whf gave only three stars....

I don't remember arcam advertisement on whf....

advertisement

Back