advertisement

Online Vet Medication Suppliers Recommendations Please

If you mean POM, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.
The wages for the staff are made through profit on drug sales in traditional veterinary surgeries. All other charges cover the overheads - a retired vet' is a very good friend.

Avoid buying drugs at your vet's surgery and ultimately you will be faced with one of two things - horrendous consultation fees locally, or no local vet' at all.

Not POM, so you are usually looking at branded vet' drugs - anywhere online, wherever is cheapest, it makes no odds.

Depending on the drug you may be able to get it via the local pharmacy. My cat is on a low dose of Dexamethazone. The price the vet wanted for it (£75 for two months) was absolutely ridiculous, especially in an area as poor as this. I had a chat with them and found out they were locked into a remarkably uncompetitive supply deal, so I’ve ended up just paying them for the prescription (£20 for a four month repeat) and I get it made up at Asda for about £9-11 for two months supply. The vet may be a little down on that, but the real grift seemed to be with the middleman.

Never met a poor vet , in blighty.
Never met a poor one in France, yet their prices are a lot cheaper than here. How's that work?

If you mean POM, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.
The wages for the staff are made through profit on drug sales in traditional veterinary surgeries. All other charges cover the overheads - a retired vet' is a very good friend.

Avoid buying drugs at your vet's surgery and ultimately you will be faced with one of two things - horrendous consultation fees locally, or no local vet' at all.

Not POM, so you are usually looking at branded vet' drugs - anywhere online, wherever is cheapest, it makes no odds.
Not sure what POM means but if it means privately owned I agree.

My Vet is now owned by a corporate as are others in the Area and as indeed recommended by the Vet, we pay for the prescription then buy online.

Depending on the drug you may be able to get it via the local pharmacy. My cat is on a low dose of Dexamethazone. The price the vet wanted for it (£75 for two months) was absolutely ridiculous, especially in an area as poor as this. I had a chat with them and found out they were locked into a remarkably uncompetitive supply deal, so I’ve ended up just paying them for the prescription (£20 for a four month repeat) and I get it made up at Asda for about £9-11 for two months supply. The vet may be a little down on that, but the real grift seemed to be with the middleman.

Tony just to be clear, the Asda pharmacists accept a veterinary prescription for animals?

UK vet's are headed towards being owned by a very few chains (US-based?????????????????????)

The average income for a UK GP is around £65K per year, and they only have to learn the biology of one species and even that one can talk/communicate (usually).

Consulation fees with traditional vet's are usually peanuts, sometimes nothing.

Tha gets nowt for nowt in this world, that is an absolute certainty.

POM - look it up - prescription only medicine.

Not sure if it still applies - GSL - general saddlery list - provided only by qualified pharmacists, which is often someone in a country/feed store of some kind - things like wormers.

when Marley needed allergy medication - the vet actually told us to go to boots, and same with the Hibiscrub to wash his wound. He did say if we were bone idle he could sell us the same for about 4 times the price.

Our vet is still family run and an indy - their consultation fee is about £45 IIRC. They did rip us off with the protective collar though

The local Asda do for this drug, which is also taken by humans. I’ve not tried with anything else, so I can’t answer definitively.

Interesting thank you.

I know Vets are allowed to prescribe for humans (but Doctors are not allowed to for animals) so this may be why?

Interesting thank you.

I know Vets are allowed to prescribe for humans (but Doctors are not allowed to for animals) so this may be why?
What drugs are you looking for OP? :cool:

Depends on the drug wether you can use human medication.

Paracetamol costs buttons in the pharmacy/supermarket same tablets cost £10 at the vet plus a consultation fee the first time.

My dog was prescribed omeprazole 20mg (sadly he’s no longer alive) but I’ve just had bouts of severe indigestion so I’ve been using his tablets also I’ve just been prescribed 58 tabs from my doctor @ no charge, the dog’s prescription cost us £36, my wife tells me it’s one of the most common medications in her work.

I was buying moloxicom from the vet on repeat prescription at £45 per 100ml ended up paying for a prescription (£18) and buying it online for about £30 for two 100ml delivered. However you only get three repeats on a vet prescription so you don’t really save much.

You can’t buy prescription only medication for animals online or anywhere else in the uk without a vet prescription.

My wife works in a pharmacy and very occasionally she had the vet prescription dispensed by her boss and paid the cost price of the medicine.

Metacam / Meloxicam we are charged £30 for a prescription for 2 x 180ml Bottles at around £23 each online. This equates to around 6 month’s supply

Metacam / Meloxicam we are charged £30 for a prescription for 2 x 180ml Bottles at around £23 each online. This equates to around 6 month’s supply

My dog was on it too but we moderated it by giving him half a paracetamol twice a day and not giving him the meloxicam every day,the vet recommended that and he was also on gabapentin but he only got all three when he was really struggling.

I‘m sure you know but you need to watch their liver function with Meloxicam the vet recommended bloods taken every six months or so.

However there’s librela injections available now for arthritis but they’re expensive at about £90 a month, fine if the animal is insured though, unfortunately we had cancelled the insurance then found out about the injections.

advertisement

Back